Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

P-37 British Shovel Carrier - Post WW2?

Article about: So, I know that of course the British used P37 web gear into the 50s, but this example has me kind of curious. Most of the Post WW2 P37 gear i’ve seen has black metal fittings (I have a 1955

Default P-37 British Shovel Carrier - Post WW2?

So, I know that of course the British used P37 web gear into the 50s, but this example has me kind of curious.

Most of the Post WW2 P37 gear i’ve seen has black metal fittings (I have a 1955 dated belt that is unissued and it does)

So, why bother making a Shovel Carrier in 1962?

Dated 1962, MECO with the Broad arrow. Seems like a odd item to fake to me, and it still has all the black ink assembly marks.

P-37 British Shovel Carrier - Post WW2?P-37 British Shovel Carrier - Post WW2?P-37 British Shovel Carrier - Post WW2?P-37 British Shovel Carrier - Post WW2?P-37 British Shovel Carrier - Post WW2?

Shovel is “PERKS 1944” marked, not worried about it.

?

Hi mate

It looks to be in pretty much unissued condition, with minimal to no wear evident.

I wouldnt worry too much about this item. P37 was actually used up to the 1970's!! (Some items are STILL on issue)
    The big "quirk" with the British Army/MoD is that, just something is flagged as 37ptn, 58ptn etc, it doesnot necessarily follow that it was actually issued in that year bracket. Old stock, reissues, serviceability etc all account for items like this turning up.

BTW, MECO is the Mills Equipment Company, (if you didnt know)

Thanks for the quick reply Mate!

A quick google search turned up someone else on another forum who had the same year and model shovel carrier, so I assume there was a small contract or something for this item. Interesting how they would use it after the adoption of a new pattern. Not too much of a shock, as for example, here in the US Cadets at military schools are still often issued Vietnam era equipment.

Either way its a great item, as I mostly try to buy very good or unissued web gear.

?

Hi PG,

You're welcome mate.

A good reference site for British web equipment is Karkee Web not quite the "bible" but very good all the same.

P37 w/e was on regular issue well into the 1960's/70's especially with the Territorial Army and Reserve forces of the UK, usual case of the regular forces getting the new kit before the reserves.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Yes, quite familiar with Karkee web, it has helped me (correctly) piece together my P-37 Web gear set.

Cheers

I actually just picked up another 1962 dated shovel carrier off ebay. Got the same inspectors stamps too! Neat...