Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Possible Australian P.O.W Equipment and Game Set - Information Needed

Article about: Hey Everyone, Recently I purchased a group of World War 2, (presuming) Australian soldiers Two Up and Dice game set, which I presume most likely would have been used in the North Africa Camp

Question Possible Australian P.O.W Equipment and Game Set - Information Needed

Hey Everyone,
    I apologise if this is posted in the wrong section.
    Recently I purchased a group of World War 2, (presuming) Australian soldiers Two Up and Dice game set, which I presume most likely would have been used in the North Africa Campaign by Australian troops.
    The set comes with a cloth game board made out of what looks like a bread bag material or sandbag cover which can fold up to fit into a pocket, with 6 squares of symbols which I presume correlate to the sides and symbols on the dice, however they seem to be written in pen which sort of throws the time period off a bit. On the other side of the board is the number 12 printed onto the top.

A wooden board made out of what looks like either bamboo or some other lighter wood is also included which I believe is most likely to be used to throw the pennies for a game of two up.

A leather cup is also in the set which I am almost certain is the bottom of a light horse gun bucket which has been cut off to hold the dice and well worn pennies.

The dice are made out of quite a strange material which I presume might be bone or either a strong wood, the circles on the dice are also off centre, however the engraving of the symbols is quite accurate, would these dice be made in the camp at the time or would they most likely have been bought at a shop in town or some sort of dealer?

A rising sun hat badge and collar badge are also included which have definitely seen some wear and are quite worn.

Is there any verification that this could of been a P.O.W game set? Or is it just simply a game made by the soldiers to pass time?
    Also what would be the price of this sort of thing if I were to sell it, and if possible how rare would this sort of this item be, I haven't come across any of these on the internet?
    Thanks for reading, any information or comments would be greatly appreciated!
    Regards
    Jacob

Possible Australian P.O.W Equipment and Game Set - Information NeededPossible Australian P.O.W Equipment and Game Set - Information NeededPossible Australian P.O.W Equipment and Game Set - Information NeededPossible Australian P.O.W Equipment and Game Set - Information NeededPossible Australian P.O.W Equipment and Game Set - Information NeededPossible Australian P.O.W Equipment and Game Set - Information Needed
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible Australian P.O.W Equipment and Game Set - Information Needed   Possible Australian P.O.W Equipment and Game Set - Information Needed  

Possible Australian P.O.W Equipment and Game Set - Information Needed  

?

A neat set you have there!

Just a question...Does it look like the ink was done with a ballpoint pen or fountain pen?

CBH
    ?

Quote by karkee View Post
    A neat set you have there!

Just a question...Does it look like the ink was done with a ballpoint pen or fountain pen?
    Might also be a Grease Pencil.

?

Looks like you have two games there; Two-Up consisting of the pennies and the kip (the wooden piece, not bamboo as bamboo has an obvious grain) and Crown & Anchor (Cloth piece and the dice with the leather cup). Both are still played on special days like ANZAC Day.

Are there makers names on the back of the badges in tiny lettering?

If only these pieces could talk eh?

Oz.