Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Post War Commando Rucksack

Article about: Hi All Annoyed from this ads?   I picked up this commando style rucksack yesterday. I admit I'm not sure about it, but for £3 I think it was worth a punt. I would welcome people's opini

Default Post War Commando Rucksack

Hi All

I picked up this commando style rucksack yesterday. I admit I'm not sure about it, but for £3 I think it was worth a punt. I would welcome people's opinions. I can't find any acceptance markings so it might be a civilian copy:

It has green vinyl waterproofing inside and the zip is marked 'Made in France':

Post War Commando RucksackPost War Commando Rucksack

However on the rear it has been modified with extra padding made from a post war British Army style towel and socks which makes me wonder if it might have been used by a soldier at some point:

I have an original British example from the second world war and the materials used in the new one are definately inferior, but I know they were made and used, with numerous modifications for years after.

What do you chaps think?

Ed

I think this model was used well in the 1970s so could be a post war issue item

ILH
    ?

Hi, It's the cold war version.
    mine is dated 1966 (very hard to read) and the flight tag attached to it was from 1985.

The lid zip might be a replacment, mine is made by AERO.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post War Commando Rucksack   Post War Commando Rucksack  

Post War Commando Rucksack   Post War Commando Rucksack  

ILH
    ?

The Khaki straps one yours may mean it's slightly earlier than mine, but still postwar.

The postwar copies tend to stand out a mile (pic of example with recycled 37 pattern straps),

whereas the original civilian Norwegian 'Bergan' is very well made (rest of the pics)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post War Commando Rucksack   Post War Commando Rucksack  

Post War Commando Rucksack   Post War Commando Rucksack  

Thanks for that, pleased to know its the genuine article. Makes an interesting contrast with my wartime dated one. I think I did very well for £3 then...

It certainly looks right to me too. As you say these were used a long time after the war. Officially to the 70's I think but retained in service as obsolescent (as opposed to obsolete) items in the hands of commandos, paras and anyone else who could lay hold of one! The added bits of towel and sock as padding are a good sign along with copious amounts of "black nasty" masking tape. I still have one somewhere and have kept it so I know the bastard can't hurt anyone else the way it hurt me (I still have the scars )

Regards

Mark

Thanks Mark- I wouldn't fancy carrying any great weight in one for any length of time! A Bergan is bad enough.