Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

question about some bullets

Article about: im not sure if this goes in here or where it goes but i just bought these at a flee market because i thought they looked cool was wondering where they were made and how much there worth

Default question about some bullets

im not sure if this goes in here or where it goes but i just bought these at a flee market because i thought they looked cool was wondering where they were made and how much there worth
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture question about some bullets   question about some bullets  

?

Default Re: question about some bullets

Hi,the rifle cartridge is a 7.62x51 Nato round made by OFV,..Ordnance Factory Varangaon of India,the .45 ACP round is from WCC,..Western Cartridge Co....Winchester,these usually go for $2 as key chain ornaments....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Hi,the rifle cartridge is a 7.62x51 Nato round made by OFV,..Ordnance Factory Varangaon of India,the .45 ACP round is from WCC,..Western Cartridge Co....Winchester,these usually go for $2 as key chain ornaments....Pete.

thanks

they could also be confirmed kill bullets sometimes when soldier kill and enenmy they will take the first bullet and where it on a necklace i have seen it done a couple times before and they are very neat

Quote by ww2relichunter View Post
    they could also be confirmed kill bullets sometimes when soldier kill and enenmy they will take the first bullet and where it on a necklace i have seen it done a couple times before and they are very neat
    Could you perhaps show such an example??

The items shown in the original post were never fired.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    The items shown in the original post were never fired.
    i know they where never fired that is the point what they would do is go and take the first unfired bullet from the dead enemies gun cut a whole through it and wear it as a necklace
    i dont have a photo right now but they did look just like urs do just a whole necklace full this is especially a snipers tradition. The issue is thier is no way to prove theese are that cause if you tried to sell them as that people would think you just cut holes in them yourself

?

i know they where never fired that is the point what they would do is go and take the first unfired bullet from the dead enemies gun cut a whole through it and wear it as a necklace
    i dont have a photo right now but they did look just like urs do just a whole necklace full this is especially a snipers tradition. The issue is thier is no way to prove theese are that cause if you tried to sell them as that people would think you just cut holes in them yourself
    Never heard of that one before about any snipers , why would you risk your life after a sniper kill by exposing yourself on a Battlefield to pick up an unused cartridge case ? Surely you would keep the one you fired for the kill ?? Would love to see a photo of such a necklace ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Never heard of that one before about any snipers , why would you risk your life after a sniper kill by exposing yourself on a Battlefield to pick up an unused cartridge case ? Surely you would keep the one you fired for the kill ?? Would love to see a photo of such a necklace ?
    I will try to find the pictures i have seen a few of them and it is more recent thing usually done when after a sniper is killed usually thier are not enemies all over the place if they can get it and it is safe they go and get it i have heard it more recently happening in iraq and afganhatan

This is a known usmc sniper tradition. It's called a hog tooth. In fact, it's so much of a tradition, it's incorporated into the marine snipers training. Here is a little info. on it, "According to military superstition, there is ultimately one round destined to end the life of each person, "the round with your name on it." Until that round is fired, the person for which it is intended is invincible. If the sniper carries this round at all times, it can never be fired and the sniper is therefore untouchable.
    The term "hog" is actually an acronym derived from the title "Hunter Of Gunmen", which is the colloquial name for a trained sniper. All other members of scout sniper platoon who have not graduated from Scout/Sniper school are considered "pigs", or "Professionally Instructed Gunmen".

As for them risking their life for the bullet, the bullet would only be retrieved once the area was cleared and it was time to move out. I'm not sure if this tradition existed during WWII, but I can say the modern marine sniper is in a much different situation than the sniper of WWII. I was never hog, but when I joined I did the buddy program, which is complete bs btw, and my friend later did become one. I have the up most respect for him, it is not an easy task.

Add: I believe the bullets which started this thread may well be a snipers hog tooth. Very personal item IMO, but then again, many military items are.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 03-06-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast