Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RAF aircrew whistle

Article about: a find from yesterday, RAF aircrew ditching whistle still on its original chain.

Default RAF aircrew whistle

a find from yesterday, RAF aircrew ditching whistle still on its original chain.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF aircrew whistle   RAF aircrew whistle  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Jerry,

Hope I'm not wrong (and surely someone will tell me if I am) but I don't think this is a ditching whistle. All of those I have seen are more like a football referee's whistle, and small enough to fix to the collar buckles of the uniform jackets. To me yours looks more like it could be for a Military Policeman, or a Warden, or someone who would have to raise an alarm. That's why it has the clip for fixing through a buttonhole or a chest pocket.

But it is a nice good condition whistle for sure.

DavidH

David, you could be correct.

?

I would in no way be able to say either way on this one. However my father was a Prison Officer from 1966 to 1998 and this whistle and chain look just like the one he had on his uniform. It is a lovely whistle though.
    Wilko

J. Hudson and Co of Birmingham have manufactured whistles for military use for a heck of a long time. The company was founded in the 1870's. You see ARP whistles of this style, as well as ones made for police and British Army use that were retained well into the 1960's. I have a WWI trench whistle that is identical to this one, with only the manufacturer's detail and the 1915 date on it. The company survives today under the title of 'Acme Whistles'.

Regards, B.B.

Hal
    ?

Guys, here is one dated 1943. Thought you'd like to have a look. Hal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF aircrew whistle   RAF aircrew whistle  

A long time ago in a land far,far away....

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    J. Hudson and Co of Birmingham have manufactured whistles for military use for a heck of a long time. The company was founded in the 1870's. You see ARP whistles of this style, as well as ones made for police and British Army use that were retained well into the 1960's. I have a WWI trench whistle that is identical to this one, with only the manufacturer's detail and the 1915 date on it. The company survives today under the title of 'Acme Whistles'.

Regards, B.B.
    I have a 1916 dated example, as well as an undated thunderer whistle. As far as I am aware both shape whistles were interchangeable in function but if any RAF collectors want to comment and clear this up.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

This type of Whistle is still on issue now in the British Army

Quote by Hal View Post
    Guys, here is one dated 1943. Thought you'd like to have a look. Hal
    Nice one Hal same as mine -army type, I currently use it for nuisance telephone calls!
    Last edited by reneblacky; 05-17-2018 at 09:23 AM. Reason: grammer

Hal
    ?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Nice one Hal same as mine -army type, I currently use it for nuisance telephone calls!
    Thanks Rene', my uncle (navy coxswain; landed troops on Utah beach) was stationed in England prior to the Normandy landings. He probably acquired it during his stay. Regards, Hal
    A long time ago in a land far,far away....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast