Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Rangefinder (British) - Barr and Stroud No12 MkVI

Article about: Guys, I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm trying to establish when this bit of kit was used by the British Army. They have a French and Dutch patent reference (mid '30s) but I can't find out

Default Rangefinder (British) - Barr and Stroud No12 MkVI

Guys, I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm trying to establish when this bit of kit was used by the British Army.

They have a French and Dutch patent reference (mid '30s) but I can't find out when they were used. Ideally I'd like to know WHO used them (RA presumably) and when they drifted out of service.

I've seen the YouTube stuff re how to use them etc....thank you.

Putting it quite simply... where there was a need for gauging the range to a target, they would be used. It wasn't just necessarily an artillery instrument, it was also used by Vickers machine-gunners too.

Cheers,
    steve.

Thank you...but do you know when i.e. which if any conflict(s)?

I don't know a lot about these but I do know that the earlier MkIII was certainly used by both artillery units and MG crews in both WWI and WWII I have seen the MkVI dated 1945. I don't know when they went out of service but I imagine they were still around for Korea at least and possibly the '60s or even early '70s. There are a lot of RA troops right on my doorstep so when I get chance I'll ask around. Does the one you are concerned with have a date on the spec plate?

Regards

Mark

Edit; I have managed to ascertain that these were still held by Royal Artillery regimental surveyors in the mid '70s so at least you know they were still on the Unit Equipment Table at that time.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I'll pass that on...thank you very much indeed. Apparently there's no date except for the two French and Dutch Patent dates.

We've watched and rewatched the YouTube clip on using one....doesn't really help.....'guess we need an actual practitioner!