Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

RASC footlocker canvas

Article about: Friend here in Calgary found this canvas among his late father's belongings. It appears to come from the lid of a 'made in the field' footlocker used to safely store/secure (from theft) tool

Default RASC footlocker canvas

Friend here in Calgary found this canvas among his late father's belongings. It appears to come from the lid of a 'made in the field' footlocker used to safely store/secure (from theft) tooling and personal gear . His dad was with the 8th Army in North Africa I believe as a vehicle electrician likely as part of a fitters section attached to a supply unit's LAD. Service in the RASC exposed him to a fair share of combat, he told of seeing trucks blown to pieces as his unit sped across the desert while being pursued and shot at by German tanks and artillery. His father's story sounds very familiar and seems to reflect one of the earlier setbacks suffered by the 8th Army.

Was it common practice to write ones name so elaborately? Has anyone ever seen such examples or have something similar from this period and location? The blue (I'm guessing) used to highlight letters looks similar to blue applied in camouflage schemes of desert vehicles for the period.

Chris......

RASC footlocker canvas
    Last edited by ChrisW01; 09-11-2013 at 12:19 PM.

If someone were creative they might do this to their own footlocker,
    but often there were one or two guys who were artists that would
    paint designs for some small favour - smokes, or whatever.

It's likely that because it is so well done it was removed
    as a keepsake.........

USAAF 'nose art' comes to mind:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RASC footlocker canvas   RASC footlocker canvas  

Regards,

Steve.

I have seen similar on other "footlockers" and kit bags, but none done with such a flair, cool item.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Very nice item. I think it was just down to personal preference as to how elaborate the writing was. If I were your friend I would have it framed and hung on the wall as a reminder of his father's service, and also just as an attractive piece of artwork