Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Ration Flask Carrier

Article about: Hi All, Here is a Ration Flask carrier and flask used for taking hot rations up-to the front I believe. The flask is 1941 and the carrier has a strap dated 1942. Can anybody tell me the offi

Default Ration Flask Carrier

Hi All,
    Here is a Ration Flask carrier and flask used for taking hot rations up-to the front I believe. The flask is 1941 and the carrier has a strap dated 1942.

Can anybody tell me the official nomenclature ?
    Has anybody got any pictures of them in use ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ration Flask Carrier   Ration Flask Carrier  

Ration Flask Carrier   Ration Flask Carrier  

I think you will find the "ABL" marking is post war Belgian.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Ade,
    I had my doubts about the pack being wartime as I have seen so many postwar dated. A re-used British strap to help confuse things.

Were they made in the war ? The other questions still apply.

?

No Roger, I think it is a wartime pack that was USED postwar by the Belgians...

Thanks Karkee, I was clearly being overly pessimistic !

Quote by karkee View Post
    No Roger, I think it is a wartime pack that was USED postwar by the Belgians...
    Indeed, I have seen several of these that are Belgian marked. No doubt somebody bought a shed full of them and got sold them.

ILH
    ?

Here are some pics of a post-war Belgian version. It's pale green rather than khaki, some of the brass is plain, some is chromed and some is painted.
    Personally I have my doubts about yours being wartime British... I'm not saying it isn't, but to be sure I'd like to see markings on the body of the bag (instead of the strap) as (im sure you know) alot of the kit made for the continent in the immediate post-war period was remanufactured from British 37.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ration Flask Carrier   Ration Flask Carrier  

Ration Flask Carrier  

?

Quote by ILH View Post
    Personally I have my doubts about yours being wartime British... I'm not saying it isn't, but to be sure I'd like to see markings on the body of the bag (instead of the strap) as (im sure you know) alot of the kit made for the continent in the immediate post-war period was remanufactured from British 37.
    It's possible Jim, but if the straps are permanently attached to the pack, then why would B.H.&G. LTD. mark both? I feel like many of the wartime examples of this carrier I have seen have been marked in a similar location on the strap. If the pack itself is postwar Belgian, then why would they go to all the trouble to find and attach wartime British-made straps?

ILH
    ?

I'm just erring on the side of caution.

?

Always a wise decision when it comes to collecting!