Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Request Help Identifying British Ammo Box Stenciling

Article about: Hello everyone, I picked up this British ammo box the other day. I hesitated purchasing this because of what looks to be a post-war repaint job, but the metal was in good shape. Before buyin

?

Default Request Help Identifying British Ammo Box Stenciling

Hello everyone,

I picked up this British ammo box the other day. I hesitated purchasing this because of what looks to be a post-war repaint job, but the metal was in good shape. Before buying, I did a little researching online. It clued me into the repaint job, which I wasn't totally sure about, and also to look for stenciling, which I found evidence of. After looking carefully on one end of the box and on the back, I could see remnants of stenciling. The stencils on the back read, "CTCT GPR70WT PRACTICE CAN T 8 S TNH," and the stencil on the end of the box reads, " GPR 70 WT PRACTICE CAN T 8 S," as far as I can tell. I haven't had luck identifying the type pf practice ordinance that the box contained. Any information would be appreciated.

Also, I can't decide whether to leave "as is" or to attempt to remove the post war bright green paint. I'm not interested in trying to restore it just thinking if I ever try to sell it, what would the most appealing to a collector, if they were interested at all. I've see an example of bare metal boxes and they don't look too bad. The biggest risk (based on what I read online) is the stenciling may disappear, and I wouldn't want that to happen. Thanks again for any help or opinions.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Request Help Identifying British Ammo Box Stenciling   Request Help Identifying British Ammo Box Stenciling  

Request Help Identifying British Ammo Box Stenciling   Request Help Identifying British Ammo Box Stenciling  

Request Help Identifying British Ammo Box Stenciling  

The back reads '6Pr 7 CWT', so it's related to this: Ordnance QF 6-pounder - Wikipedia

It would have contained 6Pdr shells, presumably. I'm assuming it's a fairly large box? For reference, a 6-Pounder AP shell is about 23 inches long.

I have seen a similar shade of green paint used on 20mm Hispano boxes, so it's possibly the original coat. The fact that it is marked 'practice' would indicate that it was for training purposes, rather than field use. So it would make sense that it isn't painted in a 'camouflage' shade.

Regards, B.B.

?

Thank you for the information B.B., very helpful! I'll get some measurements on the box tomorrow and add them to the post.

Tom

Deffo a repaint, they painted over the stenciling, looks very similar to my Aust field phone repainted for jungle use.

?

Thanks for comments Rene. Looks like a neat field phone.

Tom

?

I have successfully exposed stenciling with paint thinner on a soft rag on a couple of common ammo boxes. I think to remove all the Kermit paint would be a tedious process though. And you may be crossing the line from Collectable to Man Cave decor.