Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Shell Dressing Bag

Article about: I picked up this Shell Dressing Bag today, I cant seem to find anything similar or any information about the maker, JBH &Co Ltd. It looks to be dated August 1940. The strap is integral t

Default Shell Dressing Bag

I picked up this Shell Dressing Bag today, I cant seem to find anything similar or any information about the maker, JBH &Co Ltd. It looks to be dated August 1940.

The strap is integral to the bag s is normal, the bag has undergone some repair to the right buckle and has been sewn on round the wrong way.

It has more of a ww1 look about it.

Has anybody got any information they can add ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shell Dressing Bag   Shell Dressing Bag  

Shell Dressing Bag  

?

Great Shell Dressing bag Roger!

Of course we are all used to seeing the webbing Shell Dressing bags of a similar design, but they all seem to bear 1942-43 dates. I did see one webbing Shell Dressing bag dated 1939 as well. Now bags like yours (of canvas construction) mostly seem to date from c1940-41, which leads me to believe that they were an economy measure to allow webbing manufacturers to fulfill orders for Pattern 1937 Web Equipment after the loss at Dunkirk.

I don't know whether these canvas bags were for Army or Homefront use...

Thanks Karkee,

I have a home front feeling about it especially with 8th August being right in the middle of the Blitz.
    Although not found in the bag the stall did have the following items plus some others which I missed out on.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shell Dressing Bag