MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Small Canvas Carrier of Some Type?

Article about: We tried, some time ago to figure out what this is and again more recently but came up with nothing. As usually is the case, we are probably just looking in the wrong place. If anyone knows,

Default Small Canvas Carrier of Some Type?

We tried, some time ago to figure out what this is and again more recently but came up with nothing. As usually is the case, we are probably just looking in the wrong place.

If anyone knows, or has an idea, it would be greatly appreciated. The only thing we know for sure is that it is US, or at least the zipper is. Not even sure of what period as it came with a bunch of stuff dating from WWII on through to modern day.

It is about 14 inches in length and roughly 4 inches at its widest point.

Any idea?

Russ & Son

Default Re: Small Canvas Carrier of Some Type?

From the shape of it, i would guess it's for an earth pin.

Rob

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    From the shape of it, i would guess it's for an earth pin.

Rob
    Thanks for the info Rob. Now I have to ask, "What's an Earth Pin?"

Regards,

Russ

earthing pin/spike usually find them on generators for grounding out electricity.

Quote by davesap250 View Post
    earthing pin/spike usually find them on generators for grounding out electricity.
    Got it...I know what those are. This would be kind of short for any kind of earthing rod wouldn't you think? I'm not familiar with what they might use with a field generator however. Also, did they really keep these in any kind of case? Seems a bit overkill for something that is not very fragile....but again, I am not familiar with small field application or what/how they may have stored such things.

Gives me a direction to look into for sure.

Thanks again,

Russ

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    Got it...I know what those are. This would be kind of short for any kind of earthing rod wouldn't you think? I'm not familiar with what they might use with a field generator however. Also, did they really keep these in any kind of case? Seems a bit overkill for something that is not very fragile....but again, I am not familiar with small field application or what/how they may have stored such things.

Gives me a direction to look into for sure.

Thanks again,

Russ
    I was thinking more of the type used with field telephones and radio equipment. The type used by British and Commonwealth forces was just about right to fit in the case you have, but of course, I believe it's an American case and I dont know the exact details of their equipment. I can show you the British type if you like, I have a couple of them.

Rob

ian
    ?

i think it as a case for a vernia guage
    or at an out side idea an F type (wrench) adjustable spanner
    mostley i think a vernia guage

Rob, I see what you are talking about and will investigate this further. I have to assume it is US as the zipper mfr is, but that might not be a fair assumption either.

Ian, possibly a Vernia gauge and will look into that, but I would expect a precision tool to be in some sort of hard case.......however, since I don't know what thsi case is for, nothing can be rulled out until I do. Thanks for the suggestions.

Russ

ian
    ?

Small Canvas Carrier of Some Type?heres a vernia guage

- - Updated - -

a vernier is not realy a precition tool
    its near inof engenearing

even modern digital verniers are a few microns out

20 or sometimes 30 microns out and at 4.25 microns to the thou ,, thats not very precition

and most imperial verniers only go down to about 10 thou any way ,,this seems to me to be a good posability for you case

OH sorry for americans (imperial ) should read standard

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    Rob, I see what you are talking about and will investigate this further. I have to assume it is US as the zipper mfr is, but that might not be a fair assumption either.

Ian, possibly a Vernia gauge and will look into that, but I would expect a precision tool to be in some sort of hard case.......however, since I don't know what thsi case is for, nothing can be rulled out until I do. Thanks for the suggestions.

Russ
    The construction and general design of the case looks American to me. I agree with you, the case seems overkill for an earth spike and not enough (protection-wise) for a Vernier caliper. :/

Rob