Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Strange webbing scabbard

Article about: Hello folks I have been reading posts on the forum for a couple of years now and I have picked up some very good information about Pattern 37 webbing as used by the Australian and Commonweal

Default Strange webbing scabbard

Hello folks

I have been reading posts on the forum for a couple of years now and I have picked up some very good information about Pattern 37 webbing as used by the Australian and Commonwealth forces.

I have recently bought this curious webbing scabbard that appears to be a mix of a Pattern 37 style brass tipped tab and a US style Lift-the-Dot closure. I originally thought it could be an alternative No.4 spike bayonet scabbard, but the throat of the scabbard is approximately 7mm to 8mm diameter. I tried fitting a No.4 but the turned brass throat is far too narrow. There are no markings on the webbing or on the brass.

Dimensions are:
    Overall length: 340mm
    Length from brass opening:265mm
    Internal usable length:200mm
    Belt Loop: 80mm x 50mm

Could this be a mine probe scabbard? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Strange webbing scabbard   Strange webbing scabbard  

Strange webbing scabbard   Strange webbing scabbard  

Strange webbing scabbard   Strange webbing scabbard  

Strange webbing scabbard  

?

Strange webbing scabbard

Its an anchor peg for a Gap Crossing measuring line (Hambro Line?). The reel-mounted line was attached to a mans chest with a specially set up webbing with your scabbard slung off the belt. This accomanied by the Gap Measuring Equipment No2 could be set up on a river bank to accurately measure a gap crossing for the Bailey Bridge (or other improvised bridge) using basic geometric principles, in a rather Heath-Robinson way. A rare piece of Engineers equipment. Published literature on this measuring line is hard to find, let me know if anyone does please.

Thanks very much for the information. These were being sold here in Australia on eBay and I got the last one. The seller didn't know what it was for. Hopefully someone will reply with some literature on the scabbard. Again, thanks for your help.