Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Telescope?

Article about: Not sure if this is the right place to put this? Just bought loads of shells from a travelling salesman, and this turned up with them. Any ideas as this isn't my cup of tea? Thanks in advanc

Default Telescope, Sighting, Bore MK I ?

Not sure if this is the right place to put this? Just bought loads of shells from a travelling salesman, and this turned up with them. Any ideas as this isn't my cup of tea?
    Thanks in advance, Simon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Telescope?   Telescope?  

Last edited by shadowwolf; 05-12-2010 at 02:13 PM.

Default Re: Telescope?

A bore sighting tool? Anyone got any ideas what it is off?

If this helps the width of the 'clamped' area is 43mm

Thanks to some help from 'Jimpy', via a phone conversation, in which he pointed out that there is "C.T.S.75" stamped on this bore sight, which may refer to this piece being used on a 75mm gun. As the date stamped upon is 1962 the gun in question would, more than likely, be an M116 Howitzer, also known as its earlier designation as a 75mm Pack Howitzer M1.
    Any thoughts or ideas ?

Update.
    Just showed this to an ex New zealand sapper mate of mine. The first words out of his mouth were "aah, a Prismatic telescope". He then examined it and noticed that each division on it was 5 miles, and that it has 10 divisions so therefore a range of up to 50 miles ! He believes that this is probably off an artillery piece, and unlikely to be off a tank, as 50 mile range would be to far for a tank. He also said that this is "a lovely piece" and "worth a few quid"
    Nearly solved the enigma as to what this is and what its off
    Regards to all, Simon.

Update:-
    Photos of this Telescopic Bore Sight have been forwarded to Les Smith at Firepower, The Royal Artillery Museum, and following his advice they have been sent to The Tank Museum at Bovington. David Fletcher at Bovington then refered me to the infantry weapons museum at Warminster. Captain Peter Laidler at Warminster is of the impression that this bore sight is off a Mobat or Wombat 120mm weapons system. I am at present waiting on confirmation of its identity following forwarding Capt. Laidler some photos of said telescope. I shall keep you all informed.
    Regards to all, Shadow Wolf.

update:-

According to David Brown, assistant curator at the tank museum, this is a bore sight from a 76mm Saladin gun.

Definitely not Saladin, I have looked through one on many occasion.

kc1
    ?

Are you sure its miles and not mills the preferred military measurement for degrees in normal life both as a bearing and a unit of inclination. I can't see a telescope being capable of seeing 50 miles from one point on the ground to another.