Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Telescope Sighting

Article about: I have come into possession of this item, a British gun sight of some sort, and was wondering what it was and what it was used for. It is rather heavy, but is still in working order with the

Default Telescope Sighting

I have come into possession of this item, a British gun sight of some sort, and was wondering what it was and what it was used for. It is rather heavy, but is still in working order with the crosshairs etc. intact.

The brass engraving has it as:

TELESCOPE
    SIGHTING

No.33 Mk II S
    O.S.763 G.A.
    W.F.S
    No.48646

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Telescope Sighting   Telescope Sighting  

Default Re: Telescope Sighting

This scope was fitted to light tanks that were specifically armed with the 2Pdr. gun and the BESA type coaxial machine gun.

Regards, Ned.

P.S. The mag is 1.9 x
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Cheers Ned. What kind of light tanks? WW2 armour is not my forté!

Are they relatively common then?

Matilda mk.II, A10 Cruiser mk.II, A13 Cruiser mk.III-IV, Valentine mk.III and the A15 Cruiser mk.VI, otherwise known as the Crusader, to name most types, but i think they were fitted to some lend lease American light tanks like the Honey for a while.

As for rarity, not really, yours was the 48,646th manufactured!

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hello-I would have thought it more likely that it would be for armoured cars by 1943-Daimlers, AEC, Staghounds etc as the gun tanks had 'moved on' from the 2 pounder by then.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Hello-I would have thought it more likely that it would be for armoured cars by 1943-Daimlers, AEC, Staghounds etc as the gun tanks had 'moved on' from the 2 pounder by then.
    Hi,

The No.33 mk.IIs was SPECIFICALLY designed for the 2Pdr.x BESA (7.92mm) combination of armanent. Staghounds and Daimlers were never fitted with these two weapons together and consequently were fitted with different types of sights, No.30's of different marks and No.39's in varients the same of. All these different types came about due to the need of the yardage to be calibrated for both weapons through the same sight. I see where your coming from on these tanks being practically obsolete by 1943, but the Crusader was produced up until 1944, albeit in smaller numbers than previous years.

Regards, Ned.

Late production Crusaders (MkIII on) had the 6 pounder gun-somewhat more competitive-the Matilda II was still used by the Australian army in the islands in 1945-still as shell proof as ever and the 2 pounder was capable of dealing with Japanese 'armour'.