Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Are these 44 Pattern Pouches ?

Article about: Hi All, I picked up these a while ago but I am not altogether sure what they are. They look like 44 pattern but I am not sure as I cant find anything similar in my books. Can anybody tell me

Default Are these 44 Pattern Pouches ?

Hi All,
    I picked up these a while ago but I am not altogether sure what they are. They look like 44 pattern but I am not sure as I cant find anything similar in my books. Can anybody tell me what the numbers mean on the flaps ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Are these 44 Pattern Pouches ?   Are these 44 Pattern Pouches ?  

Are these 44 Pattern Pouches ?   Are these 44 Pattern Pouches ?  

Hi Roger, I have never seen these before. Not 44 Pattern in my opinion. The colour and material do not look British.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

May be Italian-they used a mixture of equipment after the war that included British P37 webbing type stuff with their own pouches and holsters-the compartments would indicate detachable box magazines for an automatic rifle like the Italian BM59 or FN 49-Belgium also used British style equipment post war.

?

Im thinking post war Belgian Guys.

Thanks Guys,
    I have been searching for the leads given but nothing conclusive yet. I shall keep searching for something definitive.

Roger

Not to sure on the stampings but it maybe a Brit (or copied from a Brit design) made M1 Carbine Mag pouch. These are quite rare I believe. Used during the Borneo and Malaya emergencies during the 50's and 60's.

Are these 44 Pattern Pouches ?Are these 44 Pattern Pouches ?Are these 44 Pattern Pouches ?

Also from what I understand these were also unit/locally made and there can be variations re clips.

Whilst not set in concrete it's a start.

All the best

Dave

Thanks Dave,
    Are those your examples ? Where did you find the information ?

Roger

No not mine Roger. I went on a search for you and found the example I posted.
    On this FAL site
    The FAL Files - My British SAS kit, warning, large pic post

Thanks Dave,
    I have now found them on the Karkeeweb site.Pattern 1944 Web Equipment

"Stores Code None POUCH, MAGAZINES, M-1 CARBINE (Local Pattern)

The U.S. 0.30 M-1 Carbine was formerly an item in the U.K. inventory, usually seen in the Far East. There was no specific Pouch issued for its magazines, but this un-marked Local Pattern was part of a sack of webbing pouches offered to an S.F. group in Malaya.

The Pouch is well-made and comprised a common backing piece of fine-woven canvas, with all four cut edges turned under and stitched. A single piece of canvas is folded into three bellows pockets and stitched into place, again with all cut edges turned under. The pockets have Patt. ā€™44 black anodised QR Fasteners, the tabs and chapes in Patt. ā€™44 lightweight webbing. The pocket flaps were separately formed, with cut edges folded under twice, elsewhere it is only necessary to fold once. The flaps were pointed by folding outwards, with the QRF stitched over the folds. The flaps were stitched inside the pockets, the junction concealed by a length of light-green twilled tape. The reverse has a strip of selvedged, 2-inch wide canvas, which fixes three properly formed ā€œCā€ hooks in place. Each pocket took a pair of 15 round magazines. From the R.J. Dennis Collection. "