Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Third Reich Lens for technical camera

Article about: I have a Dr. Rudolph/Hugo Meyer Satz Plazmat lens for a 4x5 inch technical camera. Made in the 1930s, has a very unique triple focal length feature 173mm,250mm,350mm. These usually sell for

Default Third Reich Lens for technical camera

I have a Dr. Rudolph/Hugo Meyer Satz Plazmat lens for a 4x5 inch technical camera. Made in the 1930s, has a very unique triple focal length feature 173mm,250mm,350mm.

These usually sell for $500-$1000, BUT this one has the eagle and swastika engraved into the two lens barrels, so at some time (30s-40s) it belonged to the Third Reich.

Has anyone seen one of these before? and what would the engravings do for the collectability and the value of the item.

I obtained it from the estate of a senior US military intelligence officer who spent a lot of time in Europe, and Germany in particular.

Here are some pix of the lens and markings.Third Reich Lens for technical cameraThird Reich Lens for technical cameraThird Reich Lens for technical cameraThird Reich Lens for technical camera

Absolutely impossible for anyone to determine authenticity without some detailed pics? In this day and age, there are eagle and swastika markings on things that never had them before, applied who knows when to boost the value of an item. Here's something I saw the other day, on a 1930's/1940's watch back. The seller isn't making a big deal out of it or maybe even trying to raise the price, I was going to post it on the forum to ask if it stood a chance, but I think I already know the answer to this without bothering to post.

Ok, thx for the pics, you were posting while I was posting. Looks halfway legit, the M 125 seeming to indicate a Kriegsmarine property mark? The odd scratchings around the eagle and swastika make me a little bit suspicious though.

It's legit, the markings are all good...I suggest researching the Manufacturer, Model 125 and Serial Number...There are websites exclusively dedicated to such items...The Nazi-Inspection Markings tend to raise desirability and value...Wish I could help more...
    Glenn

KM issue.

I see no indication of Kriegsmarine Issue...The "M" in "M125" stands for Modell 125...If it was Kriegsmarine, the "M" would be located beneath the Swastika -as always...
    Glenn

Quote by Larboard View Post
    Absolutely impossible for anyone to determine authenticity without some detailed pics? In this day and age, there are eagle and swastika markings on things that never had them before, applied who knows when to boost the value of an item. Here's something I saw the other day, on a 1930's/1940's watch back. The seller isn't making a big deal out of it or maybe even trying to raise the price, I was going to post it on the forum to ask if it stood a chance, but I think I already know the answer to this without bothering to post.

I don't have a doubt as to the authenticity of the markings, since I know the reliability of the source. What I was trying to find out was the value of the piece. (the watch does look hokey)

Agree with Glenn, as I learn... Value is what a buyer is willing to pay? I'd have to say asking prices on this stuff is even sillier than SS headgear, which are totally crazy priced for the rich and or frivolous... but at least have the same (or higher) resale value on the way out. Here's something that popped up on eBay, a Leica VDOM multi frame finder, with eagle (eagle looks better and only has two stick wings, not three, but who knows, maybe that marking is fake?) and the asking price is $5000!!!!!!!! For a finder that normally doesn't even sell for $150 BIN in the same condition. So, by the same logic, apply that same percentage increase (3233%) for your lens to come up with a "real world" price?

Leica VIDOM with eagle, $5000 asking price;

Pic for eagle /property number comparison.

Leitz Leica Vidom Chrome

Leica VDOM in better condition, no eagle marking, doesn't even sell at $150;

Leica All Nickel Vidom Universal Viewfinder Excellent | eBay

So, the usual $500-1000 price becomes $16665-33330? Or maybe there's a desirability factor involved, Leica stuff is crazy right now, one have recently auctioned off for $1.8mil. Maybe just double the value on the Meyer Satz Plazmat, or round it up to $2500, seems reasonable at that point?

Odd thing is that usually bona fide examples of military issued cameras are stamped Heer, or Luftwaffen Eingentum (not sure on KM examples) and they don't usually have an eagle, so that leaves me with more questions...

Quote by Larboard View Post
    Agree with Glenn, as I learn... Value is what a buyer is willing to pay? I'd have to say asking prices on this stuff is even sillier than SS headgear, which are totally crazy priced for the rich and or frivolous... but at least have the same (or higher) resale value on the way out. Here's something that popped up on eBay, a Leica VDOM multi frame finder, with eagle (eagle looks better and only has two stick wings, not three, but who knows, maybe that marking is fake?) and the asking price is $5000!!!!!!!! For a finder that normally doesn't even sell for $150 BIN in the same condition. So, by the same logic, apply that same percentage increase (3233%) for your lens to come up with a "real world" price?

Leica VIDOM with eagle, $5000 asking price;

Pic for eagle /property number comparison.

Leitz Leica Vidom Chrome

Leica VDOM in better condition, no eagle marking, doesn't even sell at $150;

Leica All Nickel Vidom Universal Viewfinder Excellent | eBay

So, the usual $500-1000 price becomes $16665-33330? Or maybe there's a desirability factor involved, Leica stuff is crazy right now, one have recently auctioned off for $1.8mil. Maybe just double the value on the Meyer Satz Plazmat, or round it up to $2500, seems reasonable at that point?

Odd thing is that usually bona fide examples of military issued cameras are stamped Heer, or Luftwaffen Eingentum (not sure on KM examples) and they don't usually have an eagle, so that leaves me with more questions...
    I have looked at the engraving under a microscope, it is too precise to be done by hand, they must have had a machine to do it and this size emblem would have been too large for the Leica finder, they used a different machine most likely.

Is ebay a good place to follow military relics for sale, or is there a more specialized site?

Thanks guys for your help, if anyone comes up with something relevant let me know, if I find out more I.ll post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast