Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Thoughts on this respirator bag strap?

Article about: Hi Guys, I have this strap in my bits box. Take a look at the pics and give me your thoughts? I am guessing it from a respirator bag? As you can see, the canvas is thick with ribbed weave an

Default Thoughts on this respirator bag strap?

Hi Guys, I have this strap in my bits box.

Take a look at the pics and give me your thoughts? I am guessing it from a respirator bag?

As you can see, the canvas is thick with ribbed weave and the metalwork well made with an old patina. My thoughts are it may be WW1 in date? Officers private purchase or the like? No markings.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts on this respirator bag strap?   Thoughts on this respirator bag strap?  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Default Re: Thoughts on this respirator bag strap?

It looks like an officer's greatcoat carrying strap to me, also often used with the officer's haversack. It was part of the officer's equipment, used with the Sam Browne. If so, it is probably WW1, as you say.

Rob

?

I'd go with a private purchase item ... them hooks and buckles don't look strong enough to pass military requirements ..

.. Gasmask .. mapcase .... something on them lines ..

Thanks Guys.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Gary J View Post
    I'd go with a private purchase item ... them hooks and buckles don't look strong enough to pass military requirements ..

.. Gasmask .. mapcase .... something on them lines ..
    They are the standard buckle type found on WW1 officer's equipment

Rob

Could also be a carrying strap from a tripod for a optic, i have had the same straps on some ww1/ww2 British small tripods i have had in the past

Thanks again.

Cheers, Ade.