Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Totally complete 1940 dated British respirator with known history

Article about: Hi Guys, WW2 British respirators are not that hard to find. However, to find one as complete as this is now rare, even in the UK. This particular example belonged to an ATS girl who kindly g

Default Totally complete 1940 dated British respirator with known history

Hi Guys, WW2 British respirators are not that hard to find. However, to find one as complete as this is now rare, even in the UK.

This particular example belonged to an ATS girl who kindly gave it to me and my wife. She loved her time in the army and according to her she had a great war being away from home and having boyfriends! This respirator has a little story behind it. She was going back to camp on the train after a weekend's leave. She got chatting to a soldier. He got off the train before her and she found he had taken her respirator by mistake. She said she was very upset about this. The reason being her Mum had given her a slice of apple pie to take back and she had put this in the gas mask bag! I wonder when the soldier found this? So the name written on the bag is not Joan's surname.

The contents are totally complete and feature some rare items like the ear plugs and anti gas armband and pot of anti gas ointment, wool waste cleaning wadding, etc

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Totally complete 1940 dated British respirator with known history   Totally complete 1940 dated British respirator with known history  

Totally complete 1940 dated British respirator with known history   Totally complete 1940 dated British respirator with known history  

Totally complete 1940 dated British respirator with known history   Totally complete 1940 dated British respirator with known history  

Totally complete 1940 dated British respirator with known history  
    Attached Images Attached Images Totally complete 1940 dated British respirator with known history 

Default re: Totally complete 1940 dated British respirator with known history

More items from the bag.

The anti gas ointment is still in the pot and the tubes of it are also in the tin. The anti dim demisting cloth is also in it's tin.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Totally complete 1940 dated British respirator with known history   Totally complete 1940 dated British respirator with known history  

Default Re: Totally complete 1940 dated British respirator with known history

Hi Ade,

I love them more when I know something about their personal history. Very interesting history is behind this item.

"she had a great war being away from home and having boyfriends"?

Thanks! Joan also gave me a selection of British cap badges. All belonged to her different boyfriends she told me There were about 8 badges She did marry but this was to a member of the Royal Navy. I also have his rank badges.

Cheers, Ade.

Can't believe I haven't found this thread until now, fantastic item with a fantastic story to match it There aren't many sets like this around that are all complete as they were during the Second World War, over the years sets have split up undoubtedly to ever be put back together again.

Thanks for sharing it with us

Danny

thats a really nice gas mask and accessories adrian ,and what a really nice story to go with them

Thanks for the kind comments guys!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!