Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

U.S. Canteen Cover.

Article about: Hi all, could anyone help me here, I have what I think is a Pattern 1910 canteen cover, are the HW snap fasteners correct? also my reference books state that American produced covers have se

Default U.S. Canteen Cover.

Hi all, could anyone help me here, I have what I think is a Pattern 1910 canteen cover, are the HW snap fasteners correct? also my reference books state that American produced covers have seven lines of vertical stitching to the front and this clearly has eight lines, is this cover a reproduction or a variant of some kind ?

The inside is felt lined and there is a faint U.S. stamp to the front which is not very clear in the photos, you opinions appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S. Canteen Cover.   U.S. Canteen Cover.  

U.S. Canteen Cover.   U.S. Canteen Cover.  

Hello mate,

I'll give you my opinion until someone who knows what they're talking about fills you in!

I initially thought it may have been of British manufacture as part of the lend lease program but they all appear to have been constructed with 4 vertical rows of stitches and are usually stamped somewhere. I did however uncover this almost thumbnail sized photo of a U.S canteen cover with 8 vertical rows of stitches for sale on a military dealer site. They state it's made by a company called Baker-Lockwood in 1941.

U.S. Canteen Cover.

It's too small to see who the snaps are made by but it's certainly a head-start. I'll leave the link to the dealer below, you'll just have to scroll down to find it. Good luck!

Welcome to Doughboy Military Collectables. Buy, Sell, Trade, Consignments. 425 Boonville Avenue Springfield, Missouri 65806 Phone (417) 865-9966.

Cheers,

Ian.

Thanks Ian, I did an initial search before posting but could'nt find any images of any covers like mine so thanks for pointing me in the direction of this one, much appreciated.

Phil

NCA
    ?

Its all correct.Your cover would have been made between 1944 and 1956.The fixings on the back changed to a pair of sliders on the M56 webbing.Its what is known as OD7..before then the webbing was a tan/khaki colour (OD3)
    Some covers have 7, some have 8...british made ones have 4.I must admit the snaps are a new one on me but they are proper.

Thanks NCA.............nice to know its proper.........appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Phil

I think it is a post war European re-made, the cover were supplied/sold to them (45), and added their snaps. The constriction of the back side of the snap is different, more like British Made ones.

Regards,
    Taka

Thanks Taka.....I'm happy that its genuine manufacture anyway.......thanks for taking a look.

Phil

?

What I find odd about the stitching on front is how they become rounded on top. Of the 24 canteen covers I have, all of them have the stitching going straight up into the seam, no curving. The markings on the snaps are certainly not of any US manufacturer I've seen even post WW2. I'm guessing repro.