Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

U.S. Field Safe

Article about: Hello everyone, It's been awhile since I posted on here, I hope everyone is doing well. I was hoping someone could help me out. I was out picking today and found what I believe is a WW2 US A

Question U.S. Field Safe

Hello everyone, It's been awhile since I posted on here, I hope everyone is doing well. I was hoping someone could help me out. I was out picking today and found what I believe is a WW2 US Army field safe. The dial is made by "YALE". Other than that I don't know anything else about it. Does anyone know what the slots are for in pictures (6 and 7). The slots are on each side. I was also hoping someone would know about what they were used for or how much they are worth. I'll post pictures when I get it open.
    U.S. Field SafeU.S. Field SafeU.S. Field SafeU.S. Field SafeU.S. Field SafeU.S. Field SafeU.S. Field Safe

Thanks for reading my post,

From
    Shortbuss55

?

A very interesting piece.. I wonder if it were for a quarter master for payroll. I also would like to know what this example was used for.. G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Hi Shortbuss,

It looks like it's a post war field chest from around the Korean war era. The cost of getting it opened professionally is going to be at least $150 more than what it's actually worth according to U.S. locksmiths current prices. Looking around the web, value appears to be between $50 and $150. The combo was factory set at 50-25-50 and changed before being put into service. The lock is a "Hand change" type and combination possibilities run at 1,000,000+.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Shortbuss,

It looks like it's a post war field chest from around the Korean war era. The cost of getting it opened professionally is going to be at least $150 more than what it's actually worth according to U.S. locksmiths current prices. Looking around the web, value appears to be between $50 and $150. The combo was factory set at 50-25-50 and changed before being put into service. The lock is a "Hand change" type and combination possibilities run at 1,000,000+.

Regards, Ned.
    Jeez Ned... I am glad you were on our side..... G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Quote by Gwar View Post
    Jeez Ned... I am glad you were on our side..... G
    Just call me Raffles old chap......
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

These Army safes used to be All Over for little of nothing but today are rising in values. As said, if you have the Combination for it, and it's Open, you're good, but if it is locked Shut, good night. To open them, they have to be Drilled and the dials will be ruined and replaced. If they are Open, and you wish to change the combo, it is no problem-simply take off the steel back plate, loosen the wheels,make note of the number and tighten them back down. The same goes for any of the old antique tumbler type safes. I have a couple of them here just because they're interesting(floor safes, that is!). We used to play with these old safes all the time. Today, I haven't seen one for sale since I can't remember when.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

MAP
    ?

And to answer your other question...while I am not sure, the slots appear to be an attachment point. Would assume something would be slotted into it so the safe could be picked up and moved.

Or for something completely different, maybe something slotted into it to keep the safe from being moved or stolen.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice item indeed , I was a locksmith for a few years , it won't get opened without repairs being needed , Keep in mind most of these have relockers within the door , if not correctly done by a locksmith it can turn into a nightmare , anything from glass and or wire activated re locking systems . Best entry would be from the rear using a large hole at the rear of the safe body to expose the rear of the combo lock , Doing it this way can keep the door totally un-damaged and a new combo being set with no issues , then of course just a repair of the hole in the rear is needed .
    Last edited by Australia; 07-07-2015 at 10:52 AM.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Shortbuss,

Regards, Ned.
    Thank you for Ned for your help! I have been digging around the internet looking for simmer safes and there isn't much out there that I have found.

From
    Shortbuss55

Thanks for your replay Wagriff, I was surprised so many people responded so fast. Thankfully I don't have much put into it, sadly I don't have the combo, and it's closed. On a happier note the side is painted (421 Engineering Co). So it's cool to know who used it. Your right that it is a nice conversion piece.

From
    Shortbuss55

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast