Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Uncommon Mills Experimental Pattern 1937 Webbing Braces

Article about: The following set of braces was made by Mills Equipment Company, Limited of London in 1940. Unlike the standard design, which utilized reduction weaving to create the flared shoulder section

Quote by karkee View Post
    You could be right about the pouch, but I think that is a monkey
    D'oh yes definitely a monkey!

AIF
    ?

Interesting picture, apart from the fact the Poms have no idea how to wear a slouch hat properly

I can't work out if the brace is the same or a later 'wrap around' type, to me it looks like one piece is folded over the top of the other side the same as a wrap around type?

?

It's possible AIF, you definitely made me take a second look! lol

I'm sticking with my original identification, however, because you can make out the creases on the widened portion of the brace where the tube was flattened out. Plus, I'm curious how much of the late war economy webbing made it to the guys serving in Burma before the war ended.

AIF
    ?

Yeah very hard to tell with such low resolution! But I am sure I can see a clearly defined fold when you look at it the piece on the right seems to be folded over the top, hopefully you understand what I mean lol.

I can't comment on what was and wasn't used in Burma but considering this picture was taken in January of 45 and those braces were first made some time in 1943, I guess it is possible they made their way to the far East.

?

No, I hear you. You're saying it is this type of brace...

Uncommon Mills Experimental Pattern 1937 Webbing Braces

If you look at the photograph, you can see the outline of the folds on the other side. This would be possible with the thin webbing used on the tubular braces, but I think the economy braces would be too thick (if that makes any sense).

Good point about the economy braces being introduced in 1943, by the way.

BTF
    ?

As a random aside, I just noticed in the photo the gentleman with the monkey has tattoos on his forearm! Pretty cool! First time I've seen tattoos on a servicemen during WW2.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2