Quote by Thanatos View Post
I'd say an Arty/wagon harness. Similar to those in this image.

Attachment 790963
Dave beat me to it as I was at work unable to post but he is dead right! The correct name for this item is "breast plate" which does sound odd but it is an essential part of draught horse harnes and it is the part that the horse exerts force against with its chest pretty much as a human does with the shoulders when dragging weight with a rope. Without this the horse wouldn't pull very much at all. Imagine trying to pull a heavy weight with the rope around your waist!

In modern military use you can still see items like this used by the gun teams of Kings Troop Royal Horse Artillery.

unknown British itemunknown British item

I think the "Far East therory is certainly like to be good.