Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown Leather Thingamajig - ID needed Please

Article about: I got this in a job lot of goodies, but have no idea what it is meant to be. Annoyed from this ads?   If anyone has any idea please be so kind to tell me what it is. Thanking you all in

Default Unknown Leather Thingamajig - ID needed Please

I got this in a job lot of goodies, but have no idea what it is meant to be.
    If anyone has any idea please be so kind to tell me what it is. Thanking you all in anticipation.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Leather Thingamajig - ID needed Please   Unknown Leather Thingamajig - ID needed Please  

looks like a gun or rifle holster,maybe to fit a m/cycle.

The top opening of the conical section is 45 x 28mm and when I squeeze it to a round shape the diameter looks to be about 38mm. the bottom hole is only 25 x 15mm and about 20mm in diameter when sqeezed round (hope this is making sense) Length from top to bottom of the cone section is only 100mm. The strap piece is about 200mm long including the piece surrounding the cone. The slot is about 35 x 6mm and whatever originally went through it did so at a slant.

Tom

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    looks like a gun or rifle holster,maybe to fit a m/cycle.
    Oops, sorry I didn't post the measurements quick enough, but as you can see it cannot be a holster although it kind of looks like one.

Hello Tom,
    Any markings what so ever?
    It appears to be part of a larger item. No stud for the hole, possibly also attached by the smaller strap. Maybe an accessory for a saddle? Maybe to carry a sword while on horseback?
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

It's easy to recognise when you're landed gentry like what I am chaps.

That's a leather hunting horn case, and a nice one at that.

Tally ho!, Ned.

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Hello Tom,
    Any markings what so ever?
    It appears to be part of a larger item. No stud for the hole, possibly also attached by the smaller strap. Maybe an accessory for a saddle? Maybe to carry a sword while on horseback?
    Ralph.
    No Ralph, no markings whatsoever. For a while I thought it might be something where a flag pole sits in, but I have no idea.

Tom

Quote by big ned View Post
    It's easy to recognise when you're landed gentry like what I am chaps.

That's a leather hunting horn case, and a nice one at that.

Tally ho!, Ned.

Aah, Thanks Ned....and how exactly is this attached?

Tom

Okay Ned I see now, thanks for the answer. Could it be military? No, I guess not. Silly question really....

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Leather Thingamajig - ID needed Please  

Hi Tom,

The belt buckle attaches to the huntsman's saddle and then the lower balancing strap is attached to the girth strap or 'cinch'. There would normally be another case on the other side that contains wire cutters and perhaps even a flask.

Yonder he goes, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast