Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown Satchel- Anyone know anything?

Article about: I picked up this satchel /messenger bag at a garage sale, but the proprietor hadn't a clue where it was from or what it was. It looked like a WW2-era bag, and the symbols on the front look e

MisguidedHero
    ?

Default Unknown Satchel- Anyone know anything?

I picked up this satchel /messenger bag at a garage sale, but the proprietor hadn't a clue where it was from or what it was. It looked like a WW2-era bag, and the symbols on the front look either from Great Britain or maybe Germany. Ill post the pictures that I took, I tried to include anything I thought important. If anyone knows anything, Id greatly appreciate it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Satchel- Anyone know anything?   Unknown Satchel- Anyone know anything?  

Unknown Satchel- Anyone know anything?   Unknown Satchel- Anyone know anything?  

Default Re: Unknown Satchel- Anyone know anything?

east German DDR

Yes definatley post war

As stated, it's East German (the DDR) The biggest give away is the DDR's embalm below the eagle, Not entirely sure of what the bag was used for, Not one I've seen before

Quote by Ypres Creepers View Post
    As stated, it's East German (the DDR) The biggest give away is the DDR's embalm below the eagle, Not entirely sure of what the bag was used for, Not one I've seen before
    I guess he must be new to militaria.

Dude you have to research!!!!! just look and you will find!!!!

MisguidedHero
    ?

As a matter of fact, I am new to Militaria, and I did attempt to find out on my own- why do you think I asked a forum who specializes in war memoribilia? I guessed (correctly, it seems) that it would be the fastest way to find out. Many thanks, by the way, it was an idle curiosity, but it would irritated me forever.

I can imagine how hard it would be to identify if you did not know the DDR Embalm.

?

Quote by Cobra den Bien Phieu View Post
    Dude you have to research!!!!! just look and you will find!!!!

Personally I think that you're a bit harsh with your wording on this Cobra.
    Everybody has to start somewhere, and asking questions on groups such as this is as good a place as any, especially if you donot know where to start looking in the first place

Would you have known a particular military symbol when you first started out collecting? I certainly didn't and I like to think that every other member of this forum, if they were to be honest would say the same.
    When I first got interested in militaria and military history, over 40 years ago, the only references were either talking to veterans, (usually family), and spending hours pouring over books in the local library, (usually limited in content).
    Nowadays, with the advent of computers and the internet, our hobby is a lot easier to follow. Type in a word into any search bar and you will come up with dozens, potentially thousands, of hits, BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO KNOW ROUGHLY WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR! Hence we are back to the likes of this forum, and others like it, where you can pose a question, maybe post a picture, and get an answer or another lead to chase.

This is a hobby to be enjoyed and, hopefully, to get other people into, the likes of this, our forum, and others do that, but when people come out with comments like you put on it, it actually pushes people away.

Anyway, rant over for now.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Dons helmet and body armour whilst awaiting incoming rounds!

?

well said jimpy, it really does irk me with people with little or no patience regarding new collectors, im still learning after 45yrs and i still will be learning when im planted in my box, im glad that there are those on this forum who you can call gentlemen in every respect

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast