Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual 1940 South African Binoculars and Case

Article about: Hey Guys, I thought I would post pictures of this set of binoculars and case that I have in my collection, as they both have Union of South Africa ownership marks. At first glance, this is a

?

Default Unusual 1940 South African Binoculars and Case

Hey Guys,

I thought I would post pictures of this set of binoculars and case that I have in my collection, as they both have Union of South Africa ownership marks.

At first glance, this is a standard Canadian-made Pattern 1937 webbing binocular case without side buckles. I found it in Alaska a number of years ago.

If you open the lid, you find a nice crisp stamp of Zephyr Loom & Textile, Limited of Guelph, Ontario along with a Canadian government ownership stamp.

When you flip the case over, however, you find a Broad Arrow inside of the letter ‘U’, which is the ownership stamp of the Union of South Africa. The Union was supplied with a great deal of British and Canadian webbing early in the war, before domestic production increased.

Pulling the binoculars out, you find a standard pair of British Army binoculars. I found this pair in South Africa a couple of years ago.

They are ‘BINOCULARS, PRISMATIC, NUMBER 2, MARK II’.

This pair was made by Abram Kershaw and Son of Leeds, England in 1940.

A letter ‘U’ stamp was added to the preexisting Broad Arrow when this pair entered South African Service.

It pays to look closely in collecting and not simply dismiss items as common or standard!

Very nice, Here's a set from the US angle I found in Johannesburg

?

Thanks for sharing your binoculars René! I love the hand carved South African Broad Arrow...does the case have an arrow as well?

Quote by karkee View Post
    Thanks for sharing your binoculars René! I love the hand carved South African Broad Arrow...does the case have an arrow as well?
    no but when I bought it the shopkeeper told me the fella was from Springs (my Wifes home town) and a school teacher there

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    no but when I bought it the shopkeeper told me the fella was from Springs (my Wifes home town) and a school teacher there
    Nice to have the provenance with an item like that!