Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unusual British ? canvas rucksack / sac with rope & webbing. Inc stamp code. WW2?

Article about: Name: photo (7)-001.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 198.5 KB  ID: 933338 class= thumbnail style= float:CONFIG /> Evening all. I was wondering if anyone could help identify this canvas pa

Default Unusual British ? canvas rucksack / sac with rope & webbing. Inc stamp code. WW2?

Unusual British ? canvas rucksack / sac with rope & webbing. Inc stamp code. WW2?Unusual British ? canvas rucksack / sac with rope & webbing. Inc stamp code. WW2?Unusual British ? canvas rucksack / sac with rope & webbing. Inc stamp code. WW2?Unusual British ? canvas rucksack / sac with rope & webbing. Inc stamp code. WW2?Unusual British ? canvas rucksack / sac with rope & webbing. Inc stamp code. WW2?Unusual British ? canvas rucksack / sac with rope & webbing. Inc stamp code. WW2?

Evening all.

I was wondering if anyone could help identify this canvas pack for me. My initial thoughts were a parachute or mountain pack , with rear hooks for quick dismount? Or naval perhaps ?
    When purchased it came with the top seam open and the rope hanging. I decided to thread the rope through the top section to get a batter idea of what it may be used for. Yet I'm none the wiser.

The rear webbing looks to be a 1930s pattern perhaps? It is stamped with YA 7747? No other marks to be noticed. One thing that did stand out was the colour. There is a green/blue tinge to the canvas.

I look forward to hearing back,

All the best, Gill.
    Last edited by retrovintagelove; 02-08-2016 at 10:49 PM.

The pack measures approx 44cm x 41 cm.

The threading to the sides would suggest it was designed to expand in size. Hence the excess rope perhaps. Which is why I'm along the lines of a parachute sac , whereby the straps can be removed and added with when loaded.

Just a passing thought ....

All comments welcome. Cheers.

CBH
    ?

Not sure what it is , but it has a Navy look to me .

?

Hey Gill,

Great pack! The 'YA 7747' stamp reminds me of signals equipment markings. Are the fittings brass?

Yes YA stamped items are normally Radio/Signals items

Quote by karkee View Post
    Hey Gill,

Great pack! The 'YA 7747' stamp reminds me of signals equipment markings. Are the fittings brass?
    Hi. The loops are magnetic, suggesting they most likely iron? There is a clear joint seam where they have probably been made by hand. The buckles and hooks are none magnetic (silver) and possibly a brass alloy?

I will investigate Signals Equipment. Thanks for that. Regards, Gil

Could it have been used for carrying a tent of some kind? ... Or something along those lines ?

I'd love to know more if possible. As I'm stumped.

Cheers.

I think that YA stamp present on the straps doesn't denote purpose of the pack, but the strap by itself. Identical straps were used to carry WS38 radio over the neck.

ILH
    ?

I have something very similar....... but very modern (circa 2000AD) that was made for carrying coiled ropes for beach assault?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast