Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

US M-43 Jungle Pack vs Field Pack?

Article about: I’m looking to put together a full pack for my son, before Christmas and have started looking at all the gear etc. that I’ll need to find between now and then. The first question that came u

Default US M-43 Jungle Pack vs Field Pack?

I’m looking to put together a full pack for my son, before Christmas and have started looking at all the gear etc. that I’ll need to find between now and then. The first question that came up was Field Pack vs. Jungle Pack. I’ve seen photos of soldiers wearing both, not sure what made one use one over the other. My assumption is that it was just which ever you were issued, but that assumption is based on nothing as I’ve not read anything that pointed one way or the other. I did read someplace that the Jungle Pack was intended for the ETO....OK, makes sense but I’m sure there is more to it than that. And then there is the Mountain Pack......man, I got some reading to do!

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Russ

?

Default Re: US M-43 Jungle Pack vs Field Pack?

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    I’m looking to put together a full pack for my son, before Christmas and have started looking at all the gear etc. that I’ll need to find between now and then. The first question that came up was Field Pack vs. Jungle Pack. I’ve seen photos of soldiers wearing both, not sure what made one use one over the other. My assumption is that it was just which ever you were issued, but that assumption is based on nothing as I’ve not read anything that pointed one way or the other. I did read someplace that the Jungle Pack was intended for the ETO....OK, makes sense but I’m sure there is more to it than that. And then there is the Mountain Pack......man, I got some reading to do!

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Russ,

Are you certain that you read that the Jungle Pack was intended for the ETO? It would make more sense that the Jungle pack would be meant for the Pacific Theatre and the jungles of Burma, Tipan, Iwo Jima and so on and would be issued to troops shipping out to those areas.

If you need help accuiring a complete field pack, send me a PM stating exactly what you are looking for and if you are aiming at a specific time period during the war. I have a pretty extensive WW II collection (mainly ETO) that I am in the process of selling. I could assist you in putting together a correct field pack for your son.

Gary

?

I think that gbalke above here made a very good point about the packs. My grandfather fought in Dunkirk and Burma so he was issued both Jungle for Burma and field in Dunkirk, although he lost everything in Dunkirk like most of the soldiers. The overall uniforms wil be different so you will want to be careful not having the jungle fatigues with field pack. Good luck though

?

Are you doing a M-1928 pack? A Pic of a M-1943 jungle pack used in Italy April 1944 is in the Lewis book on page 170. Or the M-1944/M-1945 pack? Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Gary, I am probably mistaken on what I read, I've been digging through so much on this topic lately and yes, Jungle pack makes quite a bit more sense in the pacific.

As for what I am trying to put together, I'm not 100% sure yet, I'm still in the learning curve phase of things at the momet. Want it to be correct, probably start mostly with the basics as I don't want to break the bank putting this together between now and Christmas. My son had just mentioned that he would like to put together a WWII pack w/gear, for his display but was no more specific than that, figured it would make a good XMas gift. So I started looling, jungle pack, mountain pack. M28, M44, M45, I have no idea just yet. The only thing I have picked up, of period, so far is a named M-1 Shell. The service number indicates that it from an Army National Guardsman but the number does not show up in the National Archives so I havn't any information on the individual. This is sort of my starting point.

?

Russ, I sent you a PM.

?

Russ,

Just wanted to know if you received the photos I sent you.

Yes Gary, got the photos, thank you. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of pack I want/need to get then I'll go from there. Thanks for the help.

Russ