Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

US Marine equipment still in storage on the BB55.

Article about: Amazing to see that gear still on the ship considering she was decommissioned in 1947, and sold in 1961. I visited the ship twice in 1987, but my photos were destroyed in the flood of 2006.

Default Re: US Marine equipment still in storage on the BB55.

Amazing to see that gear still on the ship considering she was decommissioned in 1947, and sold in 1961. I visited the ship twice in 1987, but my photos were destroyed in the flood of 2006.

Dusty

?

Just a question, do these guys know what they have there as regards the history and rarity of these items? And I hate to mention it, but the value too? Judging by the way it is stored, I think not. Somebody over there needs a wake up call to save these things before they rot.

End Rant.

A
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

im with andy on this matter once destroyed can never be replaced,talk about wasted historyregards dave.

I spoke with the tour guide who could see how excited I was about this stuff. He told me that the museum curator knew about the stuff and had staff move it to its current location. It at one point was three decks down in the area the Marines were. I have been kicking around the idea of trying to volunteer my time to sit and photograph everything and catalogue it for them. The only problem for me is that I'm almost two hours away and dont have a place to stay in Wilmington. I wonder if they would let me stay on the ship .

I was on the USS Little Rock a while ago and it was even more disturbing navy flack helmets out in the rain with navy M-1s and their liners slowly rotting and mice chewing away on them I wish ships like these were better taken care of...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12