Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

US Navy Life Belt latest find

Article about: amongst the things I have been blessed finding was this US Navy lifebelt I think it is missing a piece to buckle overall great shape

Default US Navy Life Belt latest find

amongst the things I have been blessed finding was this US Navy lifebelt
    I think it is missing a piece to buckle
    overall great shape

US Navy Life Belt latest findUS Navy Life Belt latest findUS Navy Life Belt latest findUS Navy Life Belt latest findUS Navy Life Belt latest find

Nice belt, shame it is missing the buckle hook. You may be able to salvage one from a relic or damaged belt.

Cheers
    Harry

I have a few of them that i found on Omaha Beach but they are green color.plus one from a farm.
    Chris

I have always wondered how those things were supposed to work... can someone elaborate?

MAP
    ?

Quote by hassiman View Post
    I have always wondered how those things were supposed to work... can someone elaborate?
    Well, I've never held one but the instructions are right in the second picture.

"Squeeze arrows together with a hard quick grip and ????? (inflate??).

Assume you would do this and blow into the tubes.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

They are inflated via two co2 canisters inside the metal buckle part, the belt reads to inflate push two arrows together with hard quick grip, the two arrows can be seen in the picture, inside the belt is a metal wire which is squeezed to pierces the canisters and inflates the belt. The belt can then be topped up via the rubber hoses. I have included an image of my US infantry display, you can clearly see the hook buckle attachment.

Harry

US Navy Life Belt latest find

I heard a while back on some document that because these had been used around the waist with full pack, having it inflated at the waist it could easily flip a guy over due the bad choice of buoyancy, some times they slipped upwards partially forcing guys under.
    My grandfather wore his trip to the ETO, he actually took the co'2s out so he could in he words " have carbonated libations" doesn't make sense to me but its what he said.

I am going to look around for the buckle part. if anyone happens to come by one please let me know
    Thanks
    General P

?

Sounds like he made his own soda water to add to whatever spirits he could lay his hands on.

Oz.