Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

USAAF Duty Assignment Filing Cabinet

Article about: Has anyone seen one of these before or knows anything about this case/organizer/filing cabinet? Sorry for the bad photos, my kid snapped them on his cell phone and didn’t check to see how th

Default USAAF Duty Assignment Filing Cabinet

Has anyone seen one of these before or knows anything about this case/organizer/filing cabinet? Sorry for the bad photos, my kid snapped them on his cell phone and didn’t check to see how they turned out before walking away. It’s an all steel construction box that is covered in OD tight woven burlap or something of that nature. It has a nice closure device, you can’t see in the photo of course, and a padlock loop. Clearly written on the top cover, in yellow:

DUTY ASSIGNMENT CARDS
    SORTING ANS FILING CABINET
    U.S. ARMY AIR FORCE

PROPERTY – AIR FORCE
    U.S. ARMY

Thanks,

Russ & Son

afhra
    ?

Default Re: USAAF Duty Assignment Filing Cabinet

According to AAF Reguation 15-125: Inorder that Air Corps organizations and detachments commanders may proplerly analyze the classification and duty assignements of all members of thier command to determine that all individual skills are being used to best advantage, and to enable higher commanders and operating agenices in determining the status of their commands through AAF Form 137, and thus make provisions for the expiditious supply and replacement of specifically trained personnel, all Air Corps officers flight officers, and warrent officers of the Army Air Forces will be designated in the following manner: By Duty Assignment. All Air Corps enlisted men of the Army Air Forces will be designated as follows: By Duty Assignment and by classification (Military Occupational Speciality). Value of the Air Corps Duty Assignment Cards: The Duty Assignment Card has may uses of particular advantage to squadron or detachment commanders as well as the maintenance of a source of primary statistical information needed for the promopt rendering of reports of personnel status and condition to higher commanders and operating agencies. It is the basis for readily reporting the requirements of the organization for personnel needed to properly operate the organization. By a single sorting operation to be explained subsequently, it is possibie to determine fthe following information for each individual: a. rank or grade, b. whether or not on flying duty, c. flying restrictions if applicable, d. limited service if applicable, e. status in major duty assignment, f. duty assignment, g. classification (MOS), h. pilot experience, i. flight training, j. combat crew member assignment, k. combat crew member if aplicable, l. combat crew training status. The regulation goes on to explain that the form itself is about 8x10 with two rows of holes all around its edge. Each hole represents one of the above listed items. One takes what looks like an ice pick and places it into one of the holes that you are interested in knowing. You then flip the cards in a sideways motion, so that only those cards with the appropriate hole that has been punched will be picked up by the ice pick. You then pull the ice pick up, and the cards on the pick are the people who have the qualifiction you are looking for. The case you have photographed is where the cards and ice pick were kept. It is kinda like an early IBM punch card sorter...

Default Re: USAAF Duty Assignment Filing Cabinet

Thank you AFHRA for the info. I was unable to find anything about this item. I might go in search of the contents, for this case, and if I can find, maybe try and obtain the case, if still available. Something you don't see every day.

Thanks again,

Russ