Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

USMC 782 gear

Article about: I've been working on this for a while. It's grey and rainy outside, so a good day to post this. poncho, even with a magnifying glass I can't make out if it says U.S.N or U.S.M. The way the r

Default USMC 782 gear/M1941 pack system

I've been working on this for a while. It's grey and rainy outside, so a good day to post this.

poncho, even with a magnifying glass I can't make out if it says U.S.N or U.S.M. The way the rest of the stamp is so bold, I don't think the C. would have rubbed off.

USMC 782 gear
    USMC 782 gear
    USMC 782 gear

The M1941 pack, this is the 4th pattern pack, it rolls over to close the top, unlike the first 3 patterns that used a flap and 2 tie straps. From a lot of the reading I've found, this style was made during the war, but was never received by any Marines in theatre before the war ended. This style was used all the way up to and into the Vietnam war.

USMC 782 gear

The green one of these 2 is from Vietnam I believe, it's not khaki like the others I have seen. I know the color did change to OD by then. I used the green one in my display only because the hook of the pigtail was still present.

USMC 782 gear
    USMC 782 gear

This is the haversack (bottom bag) and knapsack (top bag) top and bottom as they would have been worn.

USMC 782 gear
    USMC 782 gear

the inflatable waist belt, made by B.F. Goodrich
    USMC 782 gear
    USMC 782 gearUSMC 782 gearUSMC 782 gearUSMC 782 gearUSMC 782 gear

canteens and covers, 3rd type of cover. and enamel canteen
    USMC 782 gearUSMC 782 gear
    USMC 782 gear

And now to start assembling it all. I started this display because my dad would have been wearing/carrying this when he landed on Iwo Jima.

ok, first we lay out the dismounted ammo belt and attach the suspenders (braces)
    USMC 782 gear
    USMC 782 gear
    then we slide the haversack onto the suspenders(braces)

USMC 782 gear
    USMC 782 gear

then the straps of the knapsack are laid out and the pigtail attached to the belt
    USMC 782 gear
    USMC 782 gear

the straps are run through the rings on the suspenders(braces) and looped back and up under the retainers on the shoulder straps

USMC 782 gear
    USMC 782 gear
    USMC 782 gear

the straps are then run over the top of the knapsack and attached to the clips of the suspenders(braces) across the front of the pack

USMC 782 gear

Very nice items there mate, it does look like the stamp says USN!.....

and attachments they carried their bayonet, e-tool, or hatchet, and bed roll on the outside. I use empty plastic milk bottle to give the pack bulk and keep it light, but the webbing itself is so heavy, I might have to display the packs another way.

Straps to secure the bed roll to the pack system, I still need 2 more of these
    USMC 782 gear

straps to keep the bed roll from unraveling
    USMC 782 gear

bayonet, e-tool and almost finished
    USMC 782 gear
    USMC 782 gear
    USMC 782 gear

jungle first aid kit with carlysle attached

USMC 782 gear
    USMC 782 gear
    USMC 782 gear
    USMC 782 gear
    USMC 782 gear
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USMC 782 gear   USMC 782 gear  

Thanks Paul, another set of eyes always helps. It was fun putting it together and finding all the pieces. I just need a couple more from the time period and it should be good to go.

Now all you need is a decent K Bar or a big bolo knife to strap to the pack This WWII 782 gear was indeed issued into the 70's Very heavy when wet and slow to dry

Fantastic USMC field gear and all in wonderful condition too,you have done a great job acquiring all these items,they look great,I wish I had the room for it,thanks for sharing................

Good stuff. I used to have most of this kit back in the 1980's.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I have a Bolo from my dad, but it's so heavy, I'll show that in a case I think, my mannequin can't stay up with every thing on it lol. Thanks, glad you all like it, it's always fun finding everything, now it's the harder bits, real helmet cover, shelter half and a decent K-bar.

As regards the poncho - Alec S. Tulkoff in the "Grunt Gear: USMC Combat Infantry Equipment of World War II" indicates all the USMC contracts for rain ponchos. There is no contract with that contractor and with that number. So, the rain poncho is definitively for US Navy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast