Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

USS Leviathan-Originally the Vaterland-Key Tags and Bayonet ...

Article about: An old schoolmate of mine runs a used furniture shop in Tennessee...he's come across these numbered tags labeled Leviathan, and the bayonet came with it...any help with either item is apprec

Default USS Leviathan-Originally the Vaterland-Key Tags and Bayonet ...

An old schoolmate of mine runs a used furniture shop in Tennessee...he's come across these numbered tags labeled Leviathan, and the bayonet came with it...any help with either item is appreciated, friends...
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USS Leviathan-Originally the Vaterland-Key Tags and Bayonet ...   USS Leviathan-Originally the Vaterland-Key Tags and Bayonet ...  

Greetings Glenn,

As you probably know when the Vaterland was seized by the U.S. Government in 1917, it became the USS Vaterland (initially), but was soon changed to USS Leviathan after being retrofitted as a troopship. Here’s a picture of my Grandfather’s billeting ticket and a view of the ship when it brought him home from “Over there” in 1919. He served in the US 27th ID.

My guess are the brass tags are for assigning Officers their specific wardrooms as they didn’t sleep in the same cramped conditions as my Enlisted Grandfather did. The Bayonet is an U.S. M1905 (Springfield Bayonet) with M1910 scabbard missing its web cover. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lance

Double click on the picture to enlarge.

USS Leviathan-Originally the Vaterland-Key Tags and Bayonet ...

Thank You, Lance!! Could you or anyone possibly give me a ballpark figure for either item...?
    I am most grateful for any input, friends...it also makes me look good to my old chums, lol...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Thank You, Lance!! Could you or anyone possibly give me a ballpark figure for either item...?
    I am most grateful for any input, friends...it also makes me look good to my old chums, lol...
    cheers, Glenn

Greetings Glenn,

I have no idea on the key tags, kind of a niche market there... not my thing. For the M1905 Bayo, the blade's date, condition, and scabbard's condition dictate what it's worth. Low end $150.00 to high end $500.00 again all dependent on those variables. If you (or your buddy) do a search for M1905 Bayonet or Springfield Bayonet on eBay it would be easy to compare similarly dated and conditioned examples to ones sold/purchased.

Cheers,

Lance

Thanks again, Lance...US items are obviously not my specialty...Don't know what I'd do without you guys, lol...
    cheers,Glenn