Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Vospers Fire Hose Nozzle

Article about: I picked up this nozzle at the weekend as I couldn't resist it. The guy selling it said it came from a boat but I feel it probably came from the Vospers works in Portsmouth as the markings l

Default Vospers Fire Hose Nozzle

I picked up this nozzle at the weekend as I couldn't resist it.

Vospers Fire Hose NozzleVospers Fire Hose NozzleVospers Fire Hose NozzleVospers Fire Hose NozzleVospers Fire Hose NozzleVospers Fire Hose Nozzle
    The guy selling it said it came from a boat but I feel it probably came from the Vospers works in Portsmouth as the markings look more ownership than branding. The barrel seems to be dated Sept 1940 and the 1/2" nozzle looks to be dated Aug 1942.

I should think this nozzle probably saw a lot of action with Portsmouth receiving 67 air raids between July 11th 1940 and the end of May 1944. 38,000 Incendiary bombs and 1320 high explosive bombs.(Smitten City, The story of Portsmouth under the Blitz)

I cant find many wartime images of Vospers yard but here it is in 1939 with some of their early MTB's.
    Vospers Fire Hose Nozzle

?

This is a really cool piece Roger! It would be perfect for a firefighter display. I wonder if the 'N' denotes Navy...

Cheers Karkee, I do have a bit of an National Fire Service outfit coming together so it will probably go with it.
    I have a slightly tatty jacket, oilskin leggings and some postwar leather boots with a postwar axe. Difficult to find any ww2 rubber boots I think but I will keep looking. I have never seen any Fireman's trousers either.

I will also find a decent wartime helmet and axe one day.