Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Wartime model ship

Article about: Hello everyone, thought I would show this wartime instructional model of HMS Barham which met a dramatic end (along with most of her crew) in 1941. For those of you who havn't seen it, the s

Default Wartime model ship

Hello everyone, thought I would show this wartime instructional model of HMS Barham which met a dramatic end (along with most of her crew) in 1941. For those of you who havn't seen it, the ships final moments were caught on film and the extraordinary footage is well worth viewing. HMS Barham Explodes and Sinks, 1941 [Full Resolution] - YouTube

Considering how small this wooden model is, its beautifully made and detailed. I got it on ebay for just a few pounds. It is unnamed but having spent sometime examining contemporary pictures, it is certainly Barham rather than one of its Queen Elizabeth Class cousins due to unique details such as the placement of the aircraft catapult.

Douglas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wartime model ship   Wartime model ship  

Wartime model ship   Wartime model ship  

Wartime model ship   Wartime model ship  

A great waterline model
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Very nice mate!...

mpw
    ?

Yes, very nice indeed. Were these war time models used for training military personnel such as pilots etc?

nice model of a tragic ship,I believe Admiral A. B. Cuningham's son was lost on her.

Quote by mpw View Post
    Yes, very nice indeed. Were these war time models used for training military personnel such as pilots etc?
    Thanks for the comments. I think its likely to be a pilot's recognition model.

I have many of these in the U.S. version. I should make a photo of them. These items were used as training aids.

I would like to see them.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    I have many of these in the U.S. version. I should make a photo of them.

I have the normal size USN ones and the so called teacher series, which were about three times as large. I have sets for the Royal Navy, the US Navy, and the German Navy, and the teacher set is for the Japanese Navy. The latter is quite remarkable.

Wartime model shipWartime model shipThese are images of items like mine, but are elsewhere. I first encountered these as a child a half century ago, when they were just dross, and I have sought to buy up as many of these as I can.
    I actually collect black SS uniforms, but this is a hobby horse of mine.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast