Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Water bottles and carrier

Article about: Got these off carboot on Sunday, just wondered if they are cWW2? cant make out if it sayd 1955 or 1933 on the webbing.

Default Water bottles and carrier

Got these off carboot on Sunday, just wondered if they are cWW2? cant make out if it sayd 1955 or 1933 on the webbing.

Default Re: Water bottles and carrier

Sorry 1955 the bottles and the carrier were not around in 1933, the carrier is pattern 37 and the bottles are mark sevens which were introduced in 1939 the blue version in 1940 and carried on till the late fifty's. They are identical to the WW11 so you could use them in a WW11 set up.

doh! the carrier appears a little small can it have shrunk? anyway to stretch it back?

?

Quote by stefano34 View Post
    doh! the carrier appears a little small can it have shrunk? anyway to stretch it back?
    Hi Stefano.

'37ptn waterbottle carriers were/are notorious for being a VERY tight fit on the actual waterbottle, hence why, when you see British/Allied soldiers using them, they are usually still in the carrier.
    Being made from cotton, the major drawback of it is that, even if pre-shrunk, it still absorbs water to a degree and therefor will shrink over time. (The same problem applies to any webbing made from cotton based material)
    As regards "stretching it back" the only way that I know of, is to get it wet again and set it onto a "former", in this case, one of the waterbottles, HOWEVER, what you must also bear in mind is that, in this piece's case, it is over 60 years old and therefore the stitching may also be a weak spot and actually break.
    Is it worth the aggro? Depends on what you want it for. If you want it as part of a "stand-alone" display or to be displayed with a w/bottle actually in it - personally, I would leave it as is.
    If you want to put one of the waterbottles in it then it may be worth the risk.
    The carriers are still fairly common and relatively cheap, even ones with WWII date stamps on them, so it could possibly be worth the risk.
    BTW. The bottles themselves would normally have a brown wool covering over them and a cork stopper on a string.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Last edited by jimpy; 08-22-2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Grammar/Addition

?

Here is a photo of a few British Canteens from my collection with two types of carriers. The skeleton carrier has an interesting marking on it with a broad arrow 097. Not sure what era this places it at. The other carrier is dated 1944.

Water bottles and carrierWater bottles and carrierWater bottles and carrier

?

The olive colored canteen was generally issued to British and Canadian army units while the blue canteen was issues to the RAf, RCAF and other Commonwealth aviation units. Their were covered with brown or blue/grey felt respectively. You can see the blue felt covered canteen in the photo below; the canteen is in a typical P-37 canteen carrier as issued to a member of the RCAF:

?

stefano

Out of pure interest I see that the top half of each water bottle has been refinished to a more khaki green shade, is this a paint finish or have they actually been partly re-enamelled to the greener colour.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Just a small comment/anecdote... the 1950s carriers seem to never fit the waterbottle, ever. My father confirmed that from his days in the Royal Military Police TA in the 1950s/60s too.. they didn't fit brand new either

Rob

The finish appears completely original.