Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water carrier

Article about: by ian they were part of the kit on chieftain tanks at the batus training camp in Canada tony wright my troop sgt said they had them on saladins and ferrets in lybia and dofah and such place

Default Water carrier

Hi all!

I would like to share a water carrier used in temperate/hot climates. Although from the markings and my reference material I know these to be Britsh/Commonwealth forces items, I have seen a wartime dated example with US markings. Don't know if these were a copy of the British pattern or British made for the US army, though...

Regards, Giorgos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Water carrier   Water carrier  

Water carrier  

Default Re: Water carrier

I think I have seen period pix of these on LRDG vehicals, which would suggest UK then US use.

The Americans put US on virtually every piece of equipment they used (except OSS gear), no matter where they obtained it.

ian
    ?

we still used these in the british army in 82 mabe they are still used ,although i did not see any in iraq, cheers ian

Thanks for the replies!

It never happened to see pics of these being used by the US and when I saw an example marked as such, I wondered if they did make their own examples, copying the British pattern, or if the British did produce any of these for US troops. No other markings than "To be soaked...", "US" and "1942" were present on it.

Looks practical enough, with some good carrying capacity! Ian, were these issued as vehicle, squad (and any other level), or personal equipment?

Regards, Giorgos

ian
    ?

they were part of the kit on chieftain tanks at the batus training camp in Canada
    tony wright my troop sgt said they had them on saladins and ferrets in lybia and dofah and such places in the 60s and early 70s
    i have not heard of them being carried by individual soldiers ,a bit impractical for that i think ,as they have to be hung away from things ,if the touch something they tend to leak from that piont of contact cheers ian
    oh and they realy do cool the water "cooling by evaporation"
    adopted from an arab idea i believe

Quote by ian View Post
    they were part of the kit on chieftain tanks at the batus training camp in Canada
    tony wright my troop sgt said they had them on saladins and ferrets in lybia and dofah and such places in the 60s and early 70s
    i have not heard of them being carried by individual soldiers ,a bit impractical for that i think ,as they have to be hung away from things ,if the touch something they tend to leak from that piont of contact cheers ian
    oh and they realy do cool the water "cooling by evaporation"
    Thanks for the info! Always great learning something new!

Regards, Giorgos

if you google images Long Range Desert Group or SAS you will prob find some period pix with them hanging from their vehicals

?

Quote by Recon 3690 View Post
    The Americans put US on virtually every piece of equipment they used (except OSS gear), no matter where they obtained it.
    well so did alll armies/countries its just the americans like to use large U.S. markings (their just mre noticable then other countries markings).......
    Matt

?

Quote by gi0rgos p View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

It never happened to see pics of these being used by the US and when I saw an example marked as such, I wondered if they did make their own examples, copying the British pattern, or if the British did produce any of these for US troops. No other markings than "To be soaked...", "US" and "1942" were present on it.

Looks practical enough, with some good carrying capacity! Ian, were these issued as vehicle, squad (and any other level), or personal equipment?

Regards, Giorgos
    well amybe the British have decided to make something for the U.S. for a change...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast