Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

What was this 1937 Pattern Satchel used for?

Article about: I recently acquired this satchel that has 1937 pattern fittings and webbing, while in Normandy this past summer, but have had no luck in determining what it was used for. From its shape and

Default What was this 1937 Pattern Satchel used for?

I recently acquired this satchel that has 1937 pattern fittings and webbing, while in Normandy this past summer, but have had no luck in determining what it was used for. From its shape and size, it seems to have been designed to hold a rectangular container, or a number of smaller containers. There are no dividers on the inside. While it has a sewn on '37 pattern wide webbing, it is not set up for attaching to the regular harness, so I am presuming it is meant to be slung over the shoulder. It also has smaller webbing belts and buckles sewn on either end that seem to be shaped into squares. It has a makers mark of H & S 1944 on the inside top. The fabric of the satchel is not the same as regular 37 pattern equipment, but is of a finer weave and brownish colour. Its sizing is 6'5" high x 12" long x 5" wide. Any ideas? What was this 1937 Pattern Satchel used for?What was this 1937 Pattern Satchel used for?What was this 1937 Pattern Satchel used for?What was this 1937 Pattern Satchel used for?What was this 1937 Pattern Satchel used for?

NCA
    ?

Well, according to by reference book it is the bottom pack of a two part set that was used to carry demolitions equipment.

Rare bit of kit in my opinion.

Quote by NCA View Post
    Well, according to by reference book it is the bottom pack of a two part set that was used to carry demolitions equipment.

Rare bit of kit in my opinion.
    Thanks so much for your reply. I had wondered based on its rectangular shape that it carried a box of some sort. The quick release buckles make a lot of sense for carrying demolitions equipment, especially for use under fire.

Can you tell e what reference book you used to identify my bag? I would like to read more about it.

Again, Thanks so much.

NCA
    ?

No problem.I don't know why I didn't mention the book in the first place!Its in 'Equipment of the ww2 tommy' by David b Gordon.Pages 54-55.
    Its a pricey book but worth every penny.