Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what do you think on this Medic painted ammunition box ?

Article about: I recently acquired this piece through a friend, that buys and sells scrap metal. He told me it was found in a shed along with a load of old tools etc. And I could have it for 20 or it woul

Default what do you think on this Medic painted ammunition box ?

I recently acquired this piece through a friend, that buys and sells scrap metal. He told me it was found in a shed along with a load of old tools etc. And I could have it for 20 or it would go for scrap! So my first instinct was to buy the item just for the sake of it not being melted down. However US really isn't my area, so i don't know much about the item itself other than the fact its an ammunition box. But my thoughts are that its possibly a war time or early post war item. But if anybody could tell correct me or tell me a date or era, Id appreciate the input. and secondly slightly stuck on the authenticity of the hand painted Red Cross symbol on the side. It looks and feels like its been on there for a good deal of time. but my thoughts are that this may have been added post war. Im also not sure i recall ever seeing or hearing about Red Cross symbols being painted on Ammunition cans. But again This really isn't my area and since i cant find much reference elsewhere, I thought id ask the experts

Cheers Stan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0723.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	661286   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0721.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	222.6 KB 
ID:	661285  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0710.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	223.7 KB 
ID:	661273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0713.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	207.9 KB 
ID:	661275  

Name:	DSC_0717.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	232.5 KB 
ID:	661279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0720.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	661284  

Name:	DSC_0718.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	207.5 KB 
ID:	661282   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0719.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	213.2 KB 
ID:	661283  

It looks honest to me. I know the Germans used ammo cans for medical gear so I'm sure the Americans did as well. It just makes practical sense in the field too. When it was done I couldn't say, but it looks legit.

Hi Stan, it looks OK to me too.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

That's a nice score, congratulations!
    cheers, Glenn

20 ! he's taking the p.

Even if it were not a period converted medical can( which I feel it is!) you did a great job of saving a nice piece from the furnace!! Well done ,Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

Thanks for the quick replies ! Am I right in thinking the Tin itself is a wartime example ?

Yes, it is wartime.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Looks good to me and likely to be period done.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Yes, wartime and likely used for medical equipment during the War as well. The ammo cans were water tight and sturdy, they were used for many things that required secure, dry storage. Good save.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast