Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

what on earth is this!? part of a gun? any thoughts?

Article about: hi guys, here's a real challenge for you, probably made of bronze rather than brass, 6.75 inches long and maker marked. Does the VA366 refer to Vickers Armstrong? I haven't a clue what it co

Default what on earth is this!? part of a gun? any thoughts?

hi guys, here's a real challenge for you, probably made of bronze rather than brass, 6.75 inches long and maker marked. Does the VA366 refer to Vickers Armstrong? I haven't a clue what it could be used for but someone out there might!

many thanks for any suggestions - even if that is 'chuck it in the bin'!

Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture what on earth is this!? part of a gun? any thoughts?   what on earth is this!? part of a gun? any thoughts?  

what on earth is this!? part of a gun? any thoughts?   what on earth is this!? part of a gun? any thoughts?  

what on earth is this!? part of a gun? any thoughts?  

This may be stating the obvious but to hazard a guess, from an artillery piece ? Vickers did manufacture artillery pieces

The number N39698 is the serial number of the piece and from my early days of armoured car gunnery I seem to remember that all large ordnance pieces had a similar number.

So in my opinion something off a large gun.

I have a 1945 25lb gun outside I'll have a look to see if there is anything similar...if so I'll get back to you

Cheers
    Doug

hi Doug & Historyman, my initial thoughts were possibly naval large calibre gun - a lot of bronze on the back of them but I can't think what purpose it would serve. Dave

Quote by Saladin View Post

I have a 1945 25lb gun outside I'll have a look to see if there is anything similar...

Cheers
    Doug
    As you do.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I think it may be off a Ordnance QF 2-pounder built by Vickers, stab in the dark really

I would have thought something bigger than that - but thats a stab in the dark too!