Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

What kind of bag is this?

Article about: Hi Guys, This bag was given to me recently by an elderly neighbour, it's not really my kind of thing normally, i guess it's a gas mask bag and probably ww2. Other than that i have'nt got a c

Question What kind of bag is this?

Hi Guys,

This bag was given to me recently by an elderly neighbour, it's not really my kind of thing normally, i guess it's a gas mask bag and probably ww2. Other than that i have'nt got a clue!!

Is it services issue,civil defence? It appears to have had several owners judging by the amount of s/n etc. ???

Hope someone can answer my queries. Many thanks.

Gaz
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What kind of bag is this?   What kind of bag is this?  

What kind of bag is this?   What kind of bag is this?  

Default Re: What kind of bag is this?

it is a British military ww2 gas mask bag .The string is to tie around the body when the bag is around the kneck to the chest area.

Quote by airwarrior View Post
    it is a British military ww2 gas mask bag .The string is to tie around the body when the bag is around the kneck to the chest area.
    Hi Mate,

Thanks, that's cleared that one up, i was wondering what the string was for ,cheers.

Cheers
    Gaz

?

Just to add this is an early war/ pre war type respirator haversack which is very similar to the First World War pattern SBR haversack, as it has brass hardware and the distinctive radio set type clip/hook on the left hand side, later bags are made in a more bottle green shade of Khaki canvas which had a special protective treatment, these have a fixed strap and different fastening arrangement for the chest cord (metal fiction disk), also the latter bags circa 1942 have economy steel sheradised fittings to save on brass, and in some cases just two "ventilator" eyelets instead of three.

Nige
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Thumbs up Re: What kind of bag is this?

Quote by Nige H View Post
    Just to add this is an early war/ pre war type respirator haversack which is very similar to the First World War pattern SBR haversack, as it has brass hardware and the distinctive radio set type clip/hook on the left hand side, later bags are made in a more bottle green shade of Khaki canvas which had a special protective treatment, these have a fixed strap and different fastening arrangement for the chest cord (metal fiction disk), also the latter bags circa 1942 have economy steel sheradised fittings to save on brass, and in some cases just two "ventilator" eyelets instead of three.

Nige

Thanks Nige,

I 've checked out the fittings,they're all brass.
    So i guess it's as you say ,pre/ early war, Thanks again

Gaz