Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What nationality is this pouch?

Article about: Can anybody help me identifying this pouch?

Default What nationality is this pouch?

Can anybody help me identifying this pouch?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What nationality is this pouch?   What nationality is this pouch?  

What nationality is this pouch?   What nationality is this pouch?  

Default Re: What nationality is this pouch?

Hi, Mikel !

It's a WWII Canadian gas mask pouch.

I've heard some say for officers, but I'm not sure if this is true or not......

Regards, Steve.

Thanks a lot Ade. Too bad the pouch is empty

Quote by mikel wallaart View Post
    Thanks a lot Ade. Too bad the pouch is empty
    Ade? what? Steve is 100% right, nice item though

Thanks

Danny

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Hi, Mikel !

It's a WWII Canadian gas mask pouch.

I've heard some say for officers, but I'm not sure if this is true or not......

Regards, Steve.

Hi guys,

Not specifically for officers, this is a haversack for the "Respirator, Anti-Gas, Light".

Originally issued from about 1942 and becoming more common as the war went on. The majority of British and Canadian troops that landed in Europe from D-Day onwards carried this.
    It could be carried slung over the shoulder on the long strap or looped onto the web waist-belt.

These used to be 2 a penny over here a few years ago, but like everything else WW2 allied related, they are either getting very hard to find or cost the earth!!

Hope this is some help.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Last edited by jimpy; 04-27-2010 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Addition

?

Funny enough there is quite a glut of British made Lightweight Service Respirators on the market at the moment, the reason is that the Danish army purchased a large quantity of these after WWII, most come minus the filter (due to asbestos) but complete with the issue bag. I know of two U.K. wholesalers who have large stocks of these, and to help sell them off, there disposing of them in lots of six and ten respectively just to get rid of them. The masks sometimes also have a copy of the original gas mask instructions, but in Danish. As to the retail price for the mask and carrier, at the moment £20-£35 seems to be the going rate. The ones I've seen are in very good condition, but alas no filter, which is a downside from a collecting point of view, if not a healthy one.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Correct you are Nige H
    I've got five or six of those gas mask carriers, two of them with the type of strap configuration used by the Danish army from 1949 to 1969. In Danish service the C-hooks was cut off, and two vertical webbing straps was sewn on the back. The carrier could then be carried on the belt in a vertical position.
    Like this:

In Denmark they sell for between £9 - £12 / ca. 13,5€ or between 80DKKr - 100DKKr.

The British gas mask was in Denmark designated M/45E. But it was only used by civil defence or home guard. (founded 1949). The army used gas mask M/49, a remodelled version of the WWII Danish M/38 gas mask.
    Last edited by 37Webbing; 03-10-2012 at 10:54 AM.

To illustrate my last post I took some pictures this morning

The Danes gave the pouches store codes:
    The army carrier with the new design: 164.115-4
    The home guard / CF version: 163.114-4

Some more pictures, with contents (army gas mask carrier):

1 = The filter (M/47)
    2 = Mask (M/49)
    3 = Anti dimming cloth
    4 = 4 carrier - (164.115-4)
    5 = Protective goggles. One pair of "sunglasses" (in case of a nuclear explosion) and one pair of clear goggles.
    6 = Pamphlet
    7 = A rag for wiping the gas mask after use. It is crucial to remove all the moisture from the rubber. It is not made of natural rubber, and the artificial rubber mixture does not go very well with moisture over a long period of time.

It is says "BLACKLEDGE #19017310" on the lid of the carrier. I doubt BLACKLEDGE is a Danish name

The CF / homeguard mask and carrier:

If you got any more questions, I am more than happy to help
    It is not that often that someone is asking questions about Danish post WWII equipment... (although mikel wallaart did it without knowing it)

Ohh and if you are thinking "why is that filter in a blue plastic bag?" It is because I normally have it hanging in the attic. I am not all that happy about asbestos in the living room...

W & G Ltd. is Waring & Gillow of Lancaster U.K. if I remember correctly.