Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is this thing I found at a yard sale?

Article about: Hello everyone, I found this at a yard sale. There are no markings anywhere that I can see. I am hoping this is the correct section to post this. Just from looking at it, it looks military.

Default What is this thing I found at a yard sale?

Hello everyone, I found this at a yard sale. There are no markings anywhere that I can see. I am hoping this is the correct section to post this. Just from looking at it, it looks military. I am wondering if anyone knows for sure what this is and what time frame? Thanks all.
    Nicole
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	715508Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	715509Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	715510

It is a megaphone. No idea on origin. NH

Megaphone?....
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

Yes - a megaphone. AKA speaking trumpet, bullhorn or loud hailer. Developed at the end of the 17th century for addressing crowds without amplification. NH

Thank you both. I am wondering the origin still though. If not military maybe Boy scout? It just has the look to be something like that.

I should have described it better from the beginning. It has a metal, aluminum I believe, mouthpiece. The rest is a thick paper, quite firm, with metal rivets.

Looks to be home-made judging by the quality of manufacture!
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

Summat similar here:

Mc Pheeters Antique Militaria

Nearly $200....Ay Caramba!!! as they say in Norway.

Probably.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Nice catch Big Ned! But lacking any markings I would have to say this is not military or Boy Scout issue. However, it may very well be an early 20th Century item - perhaps used by a sports team. NH

Very crude and nonprofessional looking in manufacture. This could even be from a school cheerleader or who knows. Interesting, but doubtful it's military, due to it's lack of any markings at all and it's sloppy construction.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast