Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What type of British water bottle is this?

Article about: Hello fellow members, Could anyone tell me what type of water bottle this is? I know it's British. But ww1 or ww2 and why? It has a 'strange' grey colour. Forgive me my lack of knowledge abo

Default What type of British water bottle is this?

Hello fellow members,

Could anyone tell me what type of water bottle this is? I know it's British. But ww1 or ww2 and why? It has a 'strange' grey colour.
    Forgive me my lack of knowledge about the British water bottles.

?

I don't know about the webbing, it looks a bit flimsy for Brit gear but have a look at this thread Distinguishing Cobalt Blue Mk VI and Mk VII Water-Bottles

It'll tell you whether your water bottle is British or not and from which war.

Tony

?

If the colouration is anything to go by, it's an RAF issue.
    The webbing harness has the typical RAF blue-grey colour. The carrier is, what I call, a second pattern carrier, in that it totally encloses the water-bottle, unlike the earlier version which was a cradle.

Karkee Web is a great reference site for British web equipment, and, no, I donot have any affiliation to the site.

Hope that this is some help.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

The webbing looks fine, it's just in RAF blue-grey. If you look inside the webbing sleeve there should be a date and Air Ministry stamp. If it's from 1940 or earlier its 1925 pattern, if it's later it's almost certainly 37 pattern (they have identical designs so the date is the only way to tell the patterns apart)

Ok, thanks for the information! I don't have this item in my posession yet, but I have the opportunity to buy it so...

By the way....are these water bottles also used after ww2 by the RAF?

I notice it is the bucket type but the bottom is fully enclosed which is not the same as the example I have in khaki.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What type of British water bottle is this?  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Bundeswehr View Post
    Ok, thanks for the information! I don't have this item in my posession yet, but I have the opportunity to buy it so...

By the way....are these water bottles also used after ww2 by the RAF?
    Well this is only my opinion concerning the British army, it may be similar for the RAF too, but then maybe not.

I believe the British army will use any item of equipment or clothing until it’s either beyond repair or an order is given that a particular piece of clothing or equipment will no longer be used from such and such a date onwards. The item will then be put into storage until being thrown out, taken home, still used by some old die hards or sold as surplus.

I know nothing about P 37 webbing and I’m not 100% sure if the next pattern of water bottle was the plastic P58 version or not, if it was then the enamelled bottles may have been in use until the plastic bottle was issued anytime after 1958.

Hopefully someone can give you a much clearer answer with definite dates.

Tony

Yes the RAF used 37 pattern post war. I have a shoulder brace dated 1973!

The RAF and RN were always lower down the pecking order to get new webbing as their need was not as great as the Army.

ILH
    ?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I notice it is the bucket type but the bottom is fully enclosed which is not the same as the example I have in khaki.
    Hi Jerry, I think it's just the angle of the photograph, the RAF cradles have a tendency to shrink more than the khaki ones, i have several examples just like it.

incidently i think your waterbottle's felt cover might be inside out... the stitching on the base is usually on the inside