Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wireless Remote Control Units "F" No.2 (Aust)

Article about: by reneblacky Ahh Thank you most kindly Rob Info was much needed. I'd love to see yours No problem, give me a day or so and I'l put some photos together I just realized, you say "It is

Default Re: Wireless Remote Control Units "F" No.2 (Aust)

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Ahh Thank you most kindly Rob
    Info was much needed. I'd love to see yours
    No problem, give me a day or so and I'l put some photos together I just realized, you say "It is missing the battery unit", and I guess you mean the arch-shaped hole at the front? That is actually for a morse key, the battery being inside the main box.

Rob

Quote by Robert Ball View Post
    No problem, give me a day or so and I'l put some photos together I just realized, you say "It is missing the battery unit", and I guess you mean the arch-shaped hole at the front? That is actually for a morse key, the battery being inside the main box.

Rob
    Oh ok, Looking forward to your photos
    Thanks Mate
    Regards
    René

Rene

As promised here are some pictures of my example of the British-made Wireless set No 22’s Wireless Remote Control Unit F, to compare with the Australian version. This is the No 2 unit, which would have been at the remote location, the No 1 unit would have been attached to the radio itself, and attached to the No 2 unit by telephone cable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrcuf01.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	231.9 KB 
ID:	252652

First, the case with web carrying strap

Name:	wrcuf02.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	234.1 KB 
ID:	252655Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrcuf03.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	252645

Working instructions and circuit diagram are included in the lid

Name:	wrcuf04.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	252649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrcuf05.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	248.4 KB 
ID:	252647

The No 2 unit in working position with morse key pulled out and clamped, and with mike and headphones attached. The mike for this unit is the Microphone Hand No 8 (or the tropical No 16) and the headphones should be either DLR No 1 or No 2. The ones in the picture are DLR No 1.

The No 2 unit was connected to the No 1 via the centre two connectors (CONTROL LINE) and could be connected to a phone exchange or telephone via the lower two connectors (EXCHANGE LINE). If wanted, a separate radio receiver could be attached to this unit, its output connected to the connectors at top right and its aerial to the top connector on the left.

The main rotary switch allows three options:

1. “EXCHANGE USES SET” allows a telephone connected to the exchange line to use the WS22, the operator of the No 2 unit monitors the conversation, switching the WS22 to send and receive via the small switch above the morse key.

2. “CALL SET OPERATOR” allows the No 2 unit to call the No 1 unit, using the ringing handle and to talk using the mike and phones.

3. “USE SET” allows the No 2 operator to use the WS22 that is connected to the No 1 Unit, either using the mike (R/T) or the morse key (CW or MCW).

The small switch next to the main rotary switch is to switch off the separate receiver (if connected) when the operator or exchange is using the set.

Name:	wrcuf06.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	245.7 KB 
ID:	252646Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrcuf07.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	252650

Some close-ups of the morse key that you are missing on yours. It’s just a standard key connected to a thin base. They do turn up on ebay now and again.

Name:	wrcuf09.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	252648Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrcuf08.jpg 
Size:	243.6 KB 
ID:	252656

The Receivers, Double DLR No 1 and Mic Hand No 8

I will post some pictures of the No 1 Unit next.

Rob

Rene

As promised here are some pictures of my example of the British-made Wireless set No 22’s Wireless Remote Control Unit F, to compare with the Australian version. This is the No 2 unit, which would have been at the remote location, the No 1 unit would have been attached to the radio itself, and attached to the No 2 unit by telephone cable.

Name:	wrcuf01.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	231.9 KB 
ID:	252652

First, the case with web carrying strap

Name:	wrcuf02.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	234.1 KB 
ID:	252655Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrcuf03.jpg 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	252645

Name:	wrcuf04.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	252649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrcuf05.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	248.4 KB 
ID:	252647

The No 2 unit in working position with morse key pulled out and clamped, and with mike and headphones attached. The mike for this unit is the Microphone Hand No 8 (or the tropical No 16) and the headphones should be either DLR No 1 or No 2. The ones in the picture are DLR No 1.

The No 2 unit was connected to the No 1 via the centre two connectors (CONTROL LINE) and could be connected to a phone exchange or telephone via the lower two connectors (EXCHANGE LINE). If wanted, a separate radio receiver could be attached to this unit, its output connected to the connectors at top right and its aerial to the top connector on the left.

The main rotary switch allows three options:

1. “EXCHANGE USES SET” allows a telephone connected to the exchange line to use the WS22, the operator of the No 2 unit monitors the conversation, switching the WS22 to send and receive via the small switch above the morse key.

2. “CALL SET OPERATOR” allows the No 2 unit to call the No 1 unit, using the ringing handle and to talk using the mike and phones.

3. “USE SET” allows the No 2 operator to use the WS22 that is connected to the No 1 Unit, either using the mike (R/T) or the morse key (CW or MCW).

The small switch next to the main rotary switch is to switch off the separate receiver (if connected) when the operator or exchange is using the set.

Name:	wrcuf06.jpg 
Views:	152 
ID:	252646Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrcuf07.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	252650

Some close-ups of the morse key that you are missing on yours. It’s just a standard key connected to a thin base. They do turn up on ebay now and again.

Name:	wrcuf09.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	252648Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrcuf08.jpg 
Size:	243.6 KB 
ID:	252656

The Receivers, Double DLR No 1 and Mic Hand No 8

I will post some pictures of the No 1 Unit next.

Rob
    G'day Robert

Thank you most kindly on such a detailed response WOW, I'll be using this for my reference. You will be valued here for sure!
    Regards
    René

Hey Rene

Glad you liked the post. Here is the unit’s more complicated twin, Wireless Remote Control Unit F No 1.

Name:	wrcuf10.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	252977

Case with web carrying strap

Name:	wrcuf11.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	253.9 KB 
ID:	252972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrcuf12.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	252973

Name:	wrcuf14.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	252976Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrcuf13.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	256.7 KB 
ID:	252974

The No 1 unit in working position with morse key pulled out and clamped, and with mike and headphones attached. The mike and phones are the same as for the No 2 unit. The No 1 unit is very similar but has some additional features. The most obvious is the cord and connector, which is exactly the same as the mike and headphones assembly used with WS22 and WS19, and connects the unit directly with the WS22 (see below).

It has the same CONTROL LINE and EXCHANGE LINE as the No 2 unit, as well as connections for a separate radio receiver (LOCAL REC’R) whose output is connected to the connectors at top left. It can also attach a separate radio transmitter (SEPARATE SENDER) at top right, the output to which is controlled by the knob below the connectors (basically a volume control).

The main switch allows three options:

1. “EXCHANGE OR REMOTE USES SET” allows a telephone connected to the exchange line to use the WS22, the operator of the No 1 unit monitors the conversation, switching the WS22 to send and receive via the small switch to the right of the main switch. By flicking the switch to the left of the main switch to REMOTE UNIT, the No 2 unit (or exchange connected to it) can use WS22 in the same way.

2. “CALL EXCHANGE OR REMOTE OPERATOR” allows the No 1 unit to call the No 2 unit, using the ringing handle and to talk using the mike and phones. Again, flicking the small switch to the left of the main switch to EXCH, allows calling of the telephone exchange connected to the Exchange Line.

3. “USE SET” allows the No 1 operator to use the WS22 directly, either using the mike (R/T) or the morse key (CW or MCW).

The small switch above the morse key is an additional REBROADCAST feature allowing signals from the WS22 or Local Receiver to be directly rebroadcast on a different frequency via either the Separate Sender or the WS22’s transmitter. It is also possible (according to the manual) to connect two WS22s together via two No 1 units to allow immediate rebroadcast of signals on a different frequency.

Name:	wrcuf15.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	259.5 KB 
ID:	252975Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrcuf16.jpg 
Views:	249 
ID:	252971

Finally a picture of the No 1 unit connected to my Wireless Set No 22. The Wireless Set has two drop leads allowing either two headset assemblies or a headset assy and a Remote Control unit (they are just connected in parallel anyway). To allow the remote control unit to control the wireless set, the toggle switch at centre left must be in the “REMOTE CONTROL” position.

I hope that answers your original question about the use of the F units

Rob

?

they are some really cool bits of kit, I have a set H as well and am looking to possibly sell it soon, can you tell me anything about them? and how much they are worth, mine is in great shape like yours

Quote by Gouldy View Post
    they are some really cool bits of kit, I have a set H as well and am looking to possibly sell it soon, can you tell me anything about them? and how much they are worth, mine is in great shape like yours
    Wireless Remote Control Unit H you mean?

That was a similar thing with a No1 and No 2 unit for use with the Wireless Set 53, which was a fairly powerful transmitter introduced in 1944 and was usually paired with a Reception Set R107 in some kind of Command Vehicle setup. Interestingly, for this thread, the No 1 and 2 H units used a pair of Telephone Sets L for communication between the two units, wired into the control line.

Rob

Hey Rene

Glad you liked the post. Here is the unit’s more complicated twin, Wireless Remote Control Unit F No 1.

Name:	wrcuf10.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	252977

Case with web carrying strap

Name:	wrcuf11.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	253.9 KB 
ID:	252972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrcuf12.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	252973

Name:	wrcuf14.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	252976Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrcuf13.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	256.7 KB 
ID:	252974

The No 1 unit in working position with morse key pulled out and clamped, and with mike and headphones attached. The mike and phones are the same as for the No 2 unit. The No 1 unit is very similar but has some additional features. The most obvious is the cord and connector, which is exactly the same as the mike and headphones assembly used with WS22 and WS19, and connects the unit directly with the WS22 (see below).

It has the same CONTROL LINE and EXCHANGE LINE as the No 2 unit, as well as connections for a separate radio receiver (LOCAL REC’R) whose output is connected to the connectors at top left. It can also attach a separate radio transmitter (SEPARATE SENDER) at top right, the output to which is controlled by the knob below the connectors (basically a volume control).

The main switch allows three options:

1. “EXCHANGE OR REMOTE USES SET” allows a telephone connected to the exchange line to use the WS22, the operator of the No 1 unit monitors the conversation, switching the WS22 to send and receive via the small switch to the right of the main switch. By flicking the switch to the left of the main switch to REMOTE UNIT, the No 2 unit (or exchange connected to it) can use WS22 in the same way.

2. “CALL EXCHANGE OR REMOTE OPERATOR” allows the No 1 unit to call the No 2 unit, using the ringing handle and to talk using the mike and phones. Again, flicking the small switch to the left of the main switch to EXCH, allows calling of the telephone exchange connected to the Exchange Line.

3. “USE SET” allows the No 1 operator to use the WS22 directly, either using the mike (R/T) or the morse key (CW or MCW).

The small switch above the morse key is an additional REBROADCAST feature allowing signals from the WS22 or Local Receiver to be directly rebroadcast on a different frequency via either the Separate Sender or the WS22’s transmitter. It is also possible (according to the manual) to connect two WS22s together via two No 1 units to allow immediate rebroadcast of signals on a different frequency.

Name:	wrcuf15.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	259.5 KB 
ID:	252975Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrcuf16.jpg 
Views:	249 
ID:	252971

Finally a picture of the No 1 unit connected to my Wireless Set No 22. The Wireless Set has two drop leads allowing either two headset assemblies or a headset assy and a Remote Control unit (they are just connected in parallel anyway). To allow the remote control unit to control the wireless set, the toggle switch at centre left must be in the “REMOTE CONTROL” position.

I hope that answers your original question about the use of the F units

Rob
    Cheers Rob,
    Again another great post and looks like it's enjoyed by others.
    Maybe whack these into a new thread? it may get more exposure?
    Regards
    René

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12