Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

World War 2 Naval Binoculars?

Article about: I came across these in a small town in Mass. at a Community Garage sale. I have no idea what they are besides Naval Binoculars that were issued in 1944. The older gentleman who's items they

Default World War 2 Naval Binoculars?

I came across these in a small town in Mass. at a Community Garage sale. I have no idea what they are besides Naval Binoculars that were issued in 1944. The older gentleman who's items they were had an amazing collection of old interesting items from the war. He had told me he served in the Navy during WW2 but we didnt get to chat much because of so many people asking questions of him aout his things. I was hoping that somebody may have more knowledge of them. They are in Great condition and work great.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture World War 2  Naval  Binoculars?   World War 2  Naval  Binoculars?  

World War 2  Naval  Binoculars?   World War 2  Naval  Binoculars?  

World War 2  Naval  Binoculars?  

Default Re: World War 2 Naval Binoculars?

Hi, Whitman. Welcome to the Forum !

Typical 6 x 30 type with a modern case. There were many makers
    of WWII binoculars. I have a pair made by Westinghouse.
    Nice that yours are marked to the Navy BU Ships.

Would have liked to have seen what else he had.................!
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks Steve I wish I had more than 15.00 dollars on me at the time but I was passing throught the area on vacation. He had lots of photos as well as other equipment cantine, shovels, survival equip etc....

$15 ?

Is this all you paid ! ?
    Regards,

Steve.

Yeah thats all, any idea of what they may be worth ? I just like collecting things with historical significants.

Mine were $125 without a case and they are mint - not a scratch on them,
    so these should be worth at least that amount.

Good score you made !
    Regards,

Steve.

Thank you for the info I had no idea. Now i gotta figure what to do with them. Thank you for the info.

?

The set themselves are not rare but represent a good quality binocular at a very reasonable price by today's standards $15 is an excellent price !!!
    A modern Japanese set or this set - the old WW2 wins every time.
    I have a set but must confess I do not use them very often , for a small set they are quite heavy and the lens in mine are uncoated, the German 6x30's ( early ones at least) being much lighter.

Nice to see a good deal coming to a member

Hello Whitman 75,
    Here are a few pics of my British WW2 binoculars. They have been professionally renovated, the re-spraying on the body has made it difficult to photograph the manufactures marks and serial number, but they were made by Barr and Stroud of Glasgow, and have the broad arrow mark,serial number etc. I used similar ones when I was a submariner. The optics are fantastic and I use the 'bins' regularly, they are excellent for long range target spotting. The strap is a newly made replacement and I've not yet got round to restoring the original leather case.
    Yours were certainly a bargain, I paid £100.0 for mine after renovation !
    Best regards,
    navyman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture World War 2  Naval  Binoculars?   World War 2  Naval  Binoculars?  

?

£100 for a set which has been renovated is a good price to pay , did that include an optical rebuild - if so a very good price indeed.
    I have half a dozen or so Barr and Stroud 7x50's they are very good to use as are their civilian sets 7x50 and 10x50's , they have character and a good history.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast