Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW II Aussie Manufacturer's Marks

Article about: I just acquired a 1944 dated Lithgow No. 1, MK. III* to add to my collection of Enfields. As I have done with my other Enfields, I intend to display the Lithgow with some proper accouterment

?

Default WW II Aussie Manufacturer's Marks

I just acquired a 1944 dated Lithgow No. 1, MK. III* to add to my collection of Enfields. As I have done with my other Enfields, I intend to display the Lithgow with some proper accouterments; bayonet and scabbard, bayonet frog, perhaps an brass oiler, cap badge, you get the idea.

What I need is some assistance from my Aussie friends; How do I identify WW II Australian made gear? What marks were used on P-37 webbing to distinguish it from Canadian or Brit gear. What are some of the more common marks used by Australian manufacturers? Any and all help would be appreciated. Recommendations as far as what I should display with Lithgow would also be of interest.

Gary

4md
    ?

Default Re: WW II Aussie Manufacturer's Marks

Gday Gary, Australian bayonets were made at the Lithgow factory and the Orange factory. Bayonet production was transfered to the Orange factory after July 1942 til the end of the war. So for a 1944 dated rifle i would try and find a nice 44 dated orange bayonet. Orange factory bayonets are marked OA.
    Lithgow bayonets are marked with an MA or the early ones have 7 point star with an A in the centre.
    wartime Australian scabbards have the word " MANGROVITE" stamped in the leather

the brass oilers are stamped the same, OA for orange and MA or 7 point star with an "A" for lithgow

Australia also used a lot of British, Canadian gear, so you see a lot of british bayos with aussie markings

regards Paul

?

Thanks Paul, that was some good information, especially on the transfer of bayonet manufacture from Lithgow to orange.

A tad off topic, but would you know the proper length on the correct bayonet and the scabbard for my '44 Lithgow SMLE? Was there a long and a short version bayonet issued during the war?

Gary

4md
    ?

They were all the same length, 17 inches i think. The bayonet was longer than the previous one because the SMLE was a shorter rifle and there was worries about the old bayo not having enough reach.

On patt 37 gear Aussie gear is marked with D^D (defense department) take a look at my thread here, I've placed a fair amount of gear there

Common Aussie 37 gear
    Last edited by reneblacky; 07-01-2012 at 11:53 PM. Reason: added text

Spaz337
    ?

Ok Guys, im really excited right now! I have the bayonet your discussing. Its been in my garage for years. I googled the markings and found a table that told me what it was. I then googled that and i found this thread. This is where i got excited. You said they transferred from lithgow to orange and would be marked with either ma or oa. Mine is marked ma 1907 1 12 44 and on the other side has proof and acceptance marks and oa. Was this a transferred unfinished blade that was remarked? And the scabbard is marked MANGROVITE. It was handed down to me and was never in the best shape but is this something i should put up or have restored?

AIF
    ?

Quote by gbalke View Post
    I just acquired a 1944 dated Lithgow No. 1, MK. III* to add to my collection of Enfields. As I have done with my other Enfields, I intend to display the Lithgow with some proper accouterments; bayonet and scabbard, bayonet frog, perhaps an brass oiler, cap badge, you get the idea.

What I need is some assistance from my Aussie friends; How do I identify WW II Australian made gear? What marks were used on P-37 webbing to distinguish it from Canadian or Brit gear. What are some of the more common marks used by Australian manufacturers? Any and all help would be appreciated. Recommendations as far as what I should display with Lithgow would also be of interest.

Gary
    Hi Gary,

Regarding patt 37 gear you could use either British Canadian or Aussie made or a mix and match of all and It would be correct. All of our first issue 37 gear was British made and issued in the desert in 1940. Canada supplied us with webbing by the boat load from 1942 onwards, and we also started producing our own webbing in 1942 as well. But If you are going to use Canadian or British basic pouches they must be the MK2 pouch and not the MK3 because although we had them in stocks they weren't issued until post war Korea and also in Vietnam.

Cheers Luke.

?

Quote by AIF View Post
    Hi Gary,

Regarding patt 37 gear you could use either British Canadian or Aussie made or a mix and match of all and It would be correct. All of our first issue 37 gear was British made and issued in the desert in 1940. Canada supplied us with webbing by the boat load from 1942 onwards, and we also started producing our own webbing in 1942 as well. But If you are going to use Canadian or British basic pouches they must be the MK2 pouch and not the MK3 because although we had them in stocks they weren't issued until post war Korea and also in Vietnam.

Cheers Luke.
    Thanks for the heads up Luke. I have a fair amount of Canadian P-37 mainly because I used to re-enact the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada. Most of my P-37 is either unissued or very close to unissued condition, great for display purposes.

I did just order a war dated, water bottle carrier with belt clips added; an Austrailian modified piece, so I will have some Aussie specific gear to show with my Lithgow made SMLE. I also have my eye on a couple of proper 1907 pattern bayonets and scabbards to complete the display.

AIF
    ?

It wasn't one of those 'modified' Canadian carriers was it? Because they aren't WW2 issue, they date from the late 1950's early 1960's National service era they were for carrying the new plastic canteens. Post a picture or a link up when you get a chance and I will tell you for sure.

Cheers Luke.

?

Quote by AIF View Post
    It wasn't one of those 'modified' Canadian carriers was it? Because they aren't WW2 issue, they date from the late 1950's early 1960's National service era they were for carrying the new plastic canteens. Post a picture or a link up when you get a chance and I will tell you for sure.

Cheers Luke.
    Here's a link; So called Pattern '43 carrier for the war issued water bottles, not plastic canteens:

PATT 43 WATER BOTTLE CARRIER - KHAKI AUSSIE MADE | eBay

Carriers in use:

WW II Aussie Manufacturer's Marks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast