Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Binos Used By an Australian WW2

Article about: G'day All I've recently post this pair on another thread made by Voightlander & Sohn used in WW2 by an Australian serviceman World War Two Nominal Roll

Default WW1 Binos Used By an Australian WW2

G'day All

I've recently post this pair on another thread

made by Voightlander & Sohn used in WW2 by an Australian serviceman

World War Two Nominal Roll

AIF
    ?

Default Re: WW1 Binos Used By an Australian WW2

Interesting bino's Rene, I wonder what the story is behind these? As the original owner was taken POW by the Japs and died when the Montevideo Maru was sunk by the Americans... Maybe they were left at home before he was sent to Rabaul

Quote by AIF View Post
    Interesting bino's Rene, I wonder what the story is behind these? As the original owner was taken POW by the Japs and died when the Montevideo Maru was sunk by the Americans... Maybe they were left at home before he was sent to Rabaul

Cheers Mate
    I'd have to agree that they where left at home. I found them a long time ago at the local flea market.

Very interesting item Rene and great detective work Luke.

AIF
    ?

They certainly are old though... Maybe his father or uncle had brought them back from WW1 as a souvenir.
    I saw a documentary once where they spoke to the families of the men who were sent to Rabaul they knew it was basically a suicide mission and the families clicked onto it when after they had left and they found the soldiers had left all their personal stuff at home like watches rings and dogtags and letters... I guess this is another example of that

Quote by AIF View Post
    They certainly are old though... Maybe his father or uncle had brought them back from WW1 as a souvenir.
    I saw a documentary once where they spoke to the families of the men who were sent to Rabaul they knew it was basically a suicide mission and the families clicked onto it when after they had left and they found the soldiers had left all their personal stuff at home like watches rings and dogtags and letters... I guess this is another example of that
    Thanks again Luke, I would never have known