Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

ww1 trench periscope

Article about: Picked this up today on the fea market a nice early trench periscope , i cant see any thing marked on it

Quote by ynot View Post
    That's interesting, is there an easy way of telling the difference between military and non military?

I have a few myself, they're the standard issue types, private purchase, one homemade(?) version and a 1937 coronation cardboard periscope.

Tony
    You seem to have answered the question yourself! You only have to look at the construction to see it isn't military - having a brass carry handle, stained plywood and varnished as well. I said it isn't of military origin - meaning purpose made for the military. That is entirely different than saying it wasn't used by the military, but I would think the chances of that are extremely remote. The military-issue wooden periscopes were quite different in design too.

?

I don't think there is a true single rule you can follow, Some were Issued, others, as you said are private Purchase.
    I think the best way to tell if one is period private purchase, would be to look at old photos and period adverts for them, or the odd reference book that shows them.

Just My Thoughts

Dean O
    Canada

Have a good look at this one and try and work out when it is from. It was mine until a few months ago...

It looks WW1, but is it?

ww1 trench periscopeww1 trench periscopeww1 trench periscopeww1 trench periscope

?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    You seem to have answered the question yourself! You only have to look at the construction to see it isn't military - having a brass carry handle, stained plywood and varnished as well. I said it isn't of military origin - meaning purpose made for the military. That is entirely different than saying it wasn't used by the military, but I would think the chances of that are extremely remote. The military-issue wooden periscopes were quite different in design too.
    Ahh thanks.

Thinking about it, my 'simple and basic' periscopes have eye protection, I might photograph them and start a new thread. As for the one you had until a few months ago it doesn't have eye protection, looks short and probably difficult to lug around through a trench system while carrying other equipment. Is it WWI?

Harry yours looks to have been made from a tank periscope , i have seen this done before made for kids to play with

The periscope is indeed made from a tank periscope. But the crude manufacture is similar to those actually manufactured in WW1. It was probably made in the 1950s/60s. here is a genuine wooden WW1 periscope... No staining, no brass handle, and no varnish! And no - it isn't mine!
    ww1 trench periscope

?

Harry, I looked at your last night and thought about it, I see you have the correct answer already, it is really hard to tell without holding one of these in your hands, however I did not like the actual periscopes in this one..but for someone that did not really know odd and Rare WW1 items, I could see them being fooled into thinking this was "trench made"

I cannot tell from the photos, but is there any plywood used in the construction?

Still a very interesting piece

I am looking for one of the "tube" type periscopes, however I know that some of those were used in WW2, probably left over from WW1

Dean O
    Canada

Hi Dean, the periscope was constructed from plywood (from a tea box) and pine strips. The lower periscope part was from a Daimler Dingo vehicle. It was all home-made, probably from army surplus gear. My last genuine WW1 periscope was of tubular construction and dated 1918. The wooden box-type periscopes are so easy to fake from old reclaimed timber, and many home-made wooden periscopes which look as though they could be of a military-type appear on eBay. Caveat Emptor!

?

Harry, Thank you for that info something else to look for..I do not like plywood on WW1 items..but again, those that do no research could be fooled

Dean O
    Canada

Quote by kradman View Post
    Picked this up today on the fea market a nice early trench periscope , i cant see any thing marked on it
    I see this is being advertised on eBay as a WW1 periscope!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast