Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutions

Article about: OK, someone get Mr McWhirter (RIP) on the phone as I foresee a world record number of posts to the following…… I predict that there won’t be as few follow-up posts to this thread since Nazi

Default WW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutions

OK, someone get Mr McWhirter (RIP) on the phone as I foresee a world record number of posts to the following…… I predict that there won’t be as few follow-up posts to this thread since Nazi McNazi posted something about a TR item in the semi-finals of the “All-but-Nazi” Competition (Non-Champagne Decal Class) on “National Non-Nazi Day” in No Third Reich Hereland….

I’ve been looking at NON-MILITARY carrying solutions adopted on the British Home Front recently and realised that this topic is overlooked by most and yet the variations seem to be numerous and in my opinion need to be pulled together and catalogued….but what do I know…..

First, a structurally beautiful Pigskin cylindrical holder. This one’s in great nick and I think the design is stunning….

WW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutionsWW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutionsWW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutions

Next, a more common handbag….with a secret…….

WW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutionsWW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutionsWW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutionsWW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutions

…now I know there are more out there….”leather”-covered boxes, bags, haversacks, holdalls, cones etc…….. but remember...it's all about the CONTAINER, not the mask / respirator......

...oh and how about having pics WITHOUT camo netting in the background...just for a change!! :-)

PS and if there's no posts within a month I'll stick some Runes on them and try again.......I only mentioned "Pigskin" to screw-up their searches!

This is a subject which has long interested me as well. There seem to be an endless variety of containers and boxes, although some a more common than others. If I may, I'll share a couple that I've managed to acquire in my short time of Home Front collecting. Neither are overly rare, but both I feel are good representative pieces.

This first one is a metal cylindrical container, olive-coloured, with a soft fabric inner lining. On many of these that I've seen, this lining has deteriorated or been ripped out for reasons unknown. Many are also missing their carrying strings. This one is a complete assembly, date stamped 1940 on the base of the canister.
    There is a name label on the lid, as well as a number. This one was supposedly used by a member of the Post Office. According to a book on Home Front collectibles that I own, these were also popular with Home Guard members who hadn't yet been issued with a Mk IV and haversack.

Regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutions   WW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutions  

WW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutions   WW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutions  

Disappointed there's not even a swastika on anything

This to me will be an education, I never realised that there were other means of carrying the respirator other than the usual haversack or cardboard box ...
    "Per Ardua"

Another private purchase carrier, this one more of a 'purse' than a box or canister. It is a simple faux leather bag, with loops for closure and attachment to a belt. I know that similar carriers were designed that were made of genuine leather, but have not been able to locate one thus far.

This one is obviously on the cheaper/lower end of the spectrum when it comes to aftermarket carriers, but will have performed its intended function perfectly well.

B.B.

- - ------- - -

Quote by paulp4180 View Post
    Disappointed there's not even a swastika on anything

This to me will be an education, I never realised that there were other means of carrying the respirator other than the usual haversack or cardboard box ...
    Where there's a profit to be made, enterprising individuals will step in!

B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutions   WW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutions  

Thank you Mr Fast.....and great pics too....no camo nets, plants, cats, pine boarding, kitchen worktops, mannequins........ :-)

...well I was wrong about no-posts then.......

Quote by Composite View Post
    Thank you Mr Fast.....and great pics too....no camo nets, plants, cats, pine boarding, kitchen worktops, mannequins........ :-)

...well I was wrong about no-posts then.......
    Thank you. I try to keep all my photos 'sterile' for lack of a better term, the same way museums photograph items for their archives. I have a few more civilian respirators. One is in the standard style of cardboard box, and the others are Civilian Duty and 'mickey mouse' masks, all in their issue boxes and haversacks. Didn't think they would suit the subject matter of this thread, being unusual or aftermarket carriers.

For whatever reason, Home Front militaria does seem to be a very unrepresented field in this hobby. Surprising, considering just how iconic Home Front items are. All my memories of learning about the Second World War in school are of the Blitz, air raid sirens, Anderson shelters, wardens, etc. Perhaps it's something that only we UK collectors 'get', it having happened where we now live, work and sleep.

B.B.

Here's a variant on your tin....yours appears to have a proper place for an address card....this one's got spaces on the tin itself...but no "Sharpies" in those days!

WW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutionsWW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutions

...and we have to have this one....but no string (sorry!)

WW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutionsWW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutions

I can provide an example that has its string, although its missing the inner cardboard fitting for the filter canister.
    The mask is the rarer black Avon type, made of a sturdier synthetic rubber. The box has even retained a stuck-on piece of paper that indicates it was issued in the county of Wiltshire. This was apparently common practice, although the vast majority of others I've seen for sale pertain to the county of Lancashire.
    There is a name at the bottom written in pencil, but it's almost too faded to make out. 'M. Bing' would be my best guess.

B.B.

I really like the cylindrical pig skin one, my wife will think i have gone a bit strange taking an increased look at vintage handbags !

I have one cone which looks very handmade with no real closure and a leatherette oil skin covered box which came with earplugs.
    WW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutionsWW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutionsWW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutionsWW2 British CIVILIAN Gas Mask / Respirator carrying solutions

I also have the cylinder with space for address dated 1941 and a straightforward cardboard one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast