Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ww2 fork ID help

Article about: Hi there, I'ts been al while that i have bought something from the ww2. At a fleamarket i couldn't resist to buy me a fork with a 5-digit code in it. I thought it would be a laundry code but

Question ww2 fork ID help

Hi there,

I'ts been al while that i have bought something from the ww2. At a fleamarket i couldn't resist to buy me a fork with a 5-digit code in it. I thought it would be a laundry code but i've tried to run it through nara aad but this without any result.
    The fork is stamped at the backside with Dixon, broad arrow, a crown(?) and 1945.
    At the frontside there is the 5-digit code, reading: fltr 35014. Could someone help me to identify the previous owner or is this impossible?

Many thanks!

Default Re: ww2 fork ID help

A picture would help .
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Damn you're fast! Am making pictures at this moment

The pictures
    ww2 fork ID helpww2 fork ID helpww2 fork ID help

Hope this will help

?

Never seen one like that, sorry.

OMG!!!

Ok 1st off what do you think this is?

I can help you, all though I am not sure if this piece is really fitting a WW2 Relics forum, but who knows maybe it was used during some campaign by some British soldier.

The company that manufactured this stainless steel fork is James Dixon & Son Ltd. out of Sheffield, UK.

The company was later absorbed into British Silverware Production Ltd. in 1984 and acquired by Chase Montague Group & Thesco Ltd. in 1993.

See... So what you have there, is a genuine stainless steel fork. LoL

I hope that was of some help to you.

I have no clue what the 35014 is about, sorry.

Where did you acquire the fork and what were told the fork was?

I am wondering and this a is a real long shot, but the 35014 could be a regiment allocation number or a prison squad number. But like I said that is a real long shot. Maybe one of the other board members can help in the allocation ID or previous owner, as I helped you with the manufacturer.

Best of luck on your fork. LoL

Thanks for the help so far. It was sold by a bloke with a stand full of ww2 stuff. I assumed this fork was used during the end of the war by some soldier. I guess it isn't...
    If it doesn't belong to a soldier etc. i still have a nice late war stainless steel fork. LOL

Quote by klokhoane View Post
    Thanks for the help so far. It was sold by a bloke with a stand full of ww2 stuff. I assumed this fork was used during the end of the war by some soldier. I guess it isn't...
    If it doesn't belong to a soldier etc. i still have a nice late war stainless steel fork. LOL
    It obviously was used during the end of the war by some soldier The fork is exactly what you thought it was.

It is the standard "Fork, NS Table" issued to every British (and Commonwealth) soldier, along with a similar knife and spoon, and was usually carried in the holdall (often called the 'wash roll' by collectors).

These items were often marked with the soldiers number or sometimes the last few digits of his number. In this case, if it is the whole number, 35014, it would belong to a member of the Royal Army Service Corps.

Not rare, but a nice example of this item. It is definitely is "fitting a WW2 Relics forum".

Rob
    Last edited by Battery Command Post; 03-22-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Corrected mistake with army number

@ Battery Command Post

That is great of you and I am glad we've got closer to the identification of this fork.

The reason I was unsure if this had anything to do with the miltiary is the fact I could not find anywhere online where James Dixon & Son Ltd. was a war contractor/supplier. I did do some brief searching, but could not find anything.

Now we just need to find someone who knows how to identify soldier # 35014.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast